20. Naomi

"You know what you're talking about don't you" Freddie sighs, sitting down next to Ayla on the concrete steps outside the College entrance. Rumours had gotten around that Effy and Cook were back at it, just as Ayla had predicted.

"Sure" Ayla replies bluntly, annoyed that Freddie had come crawling back for a pep talk.

"I saw him and Effy at the window, and like... it confused me because I saw her just before and we kissed and it just all felt right"

"She's just scared of you Freddie. Effy's weak in the face of emotion. She feels nothing for Cook and can deal with that better than the intense feelings she has for you." Ayla takes a drag from her cigarette, watching as Naomi speeds past Emily to avoid talking to her. "This is all your fault anyway". She continues, standing up and brushing the ash from her cigarette off her flared jeans.

"Cook started it"

"Why did you play his game?"

"I didn't play his game whatsoever. I did the opposite"

"Well, why did you stoop to his level then?" Ayla corrects herself. No answer. "Thought so"

"Cook fucks everyone I care about. I'm tired of it and I wanted to show him how it felt." Ayla bites her lip, shaking her head in annoyance. "I'm sorry for doing that to you"

"Great. I was your source of revenge. And I bet everything I own you want me to be your source of revenge all over again. Well nup, not interested"

-

Ayla streams into homeroom behind Thomas who chatters away happily. Thomas had returned from the Congo a few days ago which had been an amazing surprise for Ayla in particular, who immediately convinced him to enrol in Roundview. Although Thomas and Ayla had spent a fair bit of time together, Ayla made sure to refrain from serious conversation as she found it difficult to avoid telling Thomas about Panda and Cook. If Thomas and Pandora had been in a proper relationship and if Pandora had had sex with Cook under his nose, Ayla surely would have told Thomas. Yet considering Panda thought Thomas was never coming back, Ayla believed that her having sex with Cook was reasonably acceptable and that it was better to not be mentioned to Thomas. In Ayla's eyes, the only true mistake was Pandora's disregard of Ayla's feelings for Cook.

"She is beautiful. I love her dearly... and I think she loves me too" Thomas beams, looking over to Panda who sits on the other side of the room next to Effy. Ayla says nothing, her eyes scanning the room until they settle on Cook who sits on a large couch surrounded by a group of blonde girls. From Cook's hand, gestures and the girls giggling Ayla assumes they are talking about sex. Ayla hadn't spoken to Cook properly for a fair amount of time now and was getting used to the constant tension and nausea which the love square between her, Effy, Freddie and Cook inflicted.

"I don't know if you remember but I wished you the best of luck when I found out you liked someone" Thomas begins, looking over to Cook and snickering at him pathetically. "But knowing who it is..." he trails off. Ayla chuckles at Thomas' utter hatred of Cook. God knows what Thomas would do if he knew about Cook and Panda. "All you have to do is swap."

"What?"

"Swap partners. In the love square, I mean"

"I don't think it's that easy. I think it's more of a love triangle now anyways. I'm out of the picture. Cook just wants to hurt Freddie by having Effy, he doesn't even give a fuck about me anymore."

Suddenly the lights turn off and a bunch of girls shriek in fear. Everyone looks around in wonder as Doug lights a torch below his chin, illuminating his face.

"In ancient times before the now. There was an almighty blazing row between two kingdoms tall and proud. How to decide this without blood?" Doug begins enthusiastically. Harriet turns the light on, ruining Doug's archaic atmosphere.

"Thank you, Doug, fascinating introduction." She sighs. "Ok, it's simple. We want a student president. And you, my little education consumers, will choose this president by vote." Harriet drifts through the room drearily, handing out election slips. "The election is next week so if you wish to stand, please see Doug after assembly." she drifts out of the room just as quickly as she arrived, followed by Doug who complains that she ruined his presentation.

"You should run!" Ayla beams, nudging Thomas gently in the side. He smiles and looks down at the ground, refusing but truly flattered. Straightening his posture, he waltzes over to Panda, leaving Ayla alone against the back wall. Cook snatches Ayla's gaze giving her a scornful smile and waving to her superficially.

-

"You've got to be joking. I'm not going to help run this place." Naomi sighs, walking through the corridors to class, Ayla and Emily following her. Ayla and Emily hadn't been on the best of terms and Ayla thought that if she helped convince Naomi to run for President, Emily would be a little softer towards her.

"I don't get it, why not? You really care about this stuff. Equality, environmentalism, feminism." Emily says.

"I don't ever want to shut my mouth-ism," Ayla adds. At this, Naomi stops walking and turns on her heel to face them both.

"Great. You're making me sound great."

"Come on, you know about politics, you're always talking about it." Emily pleads. Ayla notices Cook waltzing down the hall in their direction and tugs on Emily's jacket gently, desperate to leave before he reaches them.

"Emily. We've had about six conversations our entire lives. So the idea that you know I'm always talking about anything is ridiculous." Naomi replies. Emily sighs, turning to face Ayla.

"Come on" she gestures for them to leave. Naomi smiles at them awkwardly as Emily turns on her heel and strolls down the hall, followed by Ayla. Cook zooms past them towards Naomi.

"Morning ladies."

They both give him an identical Fitch smile but say nothing. Ayla could hear Cook's loud voice booming down the hall.

"Naomikins, I've been thinking. You should see more cock. Me and you. We should go to it."