Chapter 18: To Be Wanted

Start from the beginning

“Yes, I am.”

“Seda was the name, am I correct?”

“Yes.”

“You sure took your time returning home. What was the holdup?”

“Uh…”

“Everyone heard the rumors, but I wonder which ones are the truth.”

“Rumors? What ru—”

“Maybe you can help me out? After all, what better way to uncover the truth than finding the source. Don’t you agree?”

“Mr. Daniels,” Kieran took a step forward, partially hiding me from the man by doing so. “We really have to go, so would you mind —”

“Is it true that your mother had an affair and you were the result of said inappropriate relationship?”

“What?” I breathed at the same time as Kieran said, “Mr. Daniels!”

“Yes, I admit this one was slightly improbable. Is it true, then, that your father decided to send you away as soon as he saw you at birth because something was wrong with you?”

“Mr. Daniels!” Kieran said, his voice laced with warning. “What’s wrong with you? If I were you, I’d leave right now. You should know it’s best to keep your trap shut if you don’t have anything interesting to say.” Kieran then turned his back on Mr. Daniels and placed his hands on my shoulder.

“I’m sorry you had to hear that.” His lips touched my forehead before he pulled me against his chest. “That senile bastard.”

Stunned by what had just happened, I didn’t know what to say or think. My mind was blank, utterly blank. And then I whispered the only thing I did know.

“Can we go back? I don’t want to be outside anymore.”

“Sure. Of course.”

Kieran held me close to his side as we made our way back to Donovan’s. As much as I didn’t want to show how much hearing Mr. Daniels’ words had hurt, I couldn’t help but repeat them in my head. The words simply refused to disappear.

Later that night, my evening felt much like the previous one. And the one before that. And the one before…

While Don was away and some person he trusted was keeping watch outside the house, I lounged on the small couch in what Don had referred to as Elise’s room. Once again, I had one of her diaries in my lap and I was still reading by the time Donovan returned home. After saying hello, and letting me know he was back, he vanished inside the house for a little while. When he reappeared, he paused in the doorway and just smiled at the sight of me.

“I am not sure how long it is going to take me to get used to the idea of having you back in my life and around the house.”

In my head, Mr. Daniels’ words still rang loud and clear and I couldn’t move past them. How much of what he had suggested was actual truth. What had been a lie? Hopefully everything, if my opinion mattered.

“Is everything all right, Seda?”

“Not really. When Kieran and I were out for a walk this afternoon, we were stopped by a lot of people who had questions and wanted to meet me. But, that’s not really the problem.”

“What is?” Don asked, stepping into the small room. Suddenly, it felt even smaller than it already was.

“Some people said some things, rumors that I hoped weren’t the truth—”