07. Traditions of the New and Old Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

Noise was all around me, and I had to keep reminding myself that this was all for me. We had annual ceremonies for new years, and the random ceremony when we were sick, but never had I have everyone over to celebrate an event for me. I even told my parents to forgo my high school graduation party, just to avoid having to see everyone.

I don’t hate my family. It was just best that we were not together for long. It was best that we missed each other rather than get sick of each other. Aunt Houa being the best example of that. I was glad to see everyone again, but would be happier when this whole event was done and over with.

The meal was soon to be done. The aunties were cooking with their expertise experience and the young girls watched as they talked and laughed together.

“Luna. You have to go and change again,” Jia Lia said to me.

“Already?” I said.

“Yeah, the table is going to be set up soon and it is almost time for the last few events to take place,” Jia Lia said.

Okay. Come on, Chia,” I said, leading Chia to my parents room.

My mother was waiting for us when we reached the room. She had outfits laid out and ready to dress us.

“Come here, Chia. I’m going to dress you first,” my mother instructed Chia over. The room quickly filled up with my sisters and other girls of all ages.

My mother had clothes of Bee’s clan. When I first came, I wore the traditional wear of Yang’s clan, and now as I was leaving, I would wear the Thao clan’s traditional wear. The whole process symbolizing that I was changing myself to fit my new families.

With so many girls in my family, my mother dressed Chia in matter of minutes. It was my turn next.

“Nou Hli,” my mother started, “You are getting married today. As a married girl, you are no longer able to play around as a young girl once did. You are to represent your family and be good to your new mother and father. Your husbands words are to be your words. Don’t do anything to harm him and your new family.”

My mother advices me on my new life, telling me things that she never said before. “This is the last time I will be giving you clothing. As a mother, this is all that I could do for you. Becoming a wife, you will step into a new life.”

I could only nod at her words. If I did speak, I knew I would be in tears. I was mad, but I could never hate the woman who raised me. All the years of her lectures and knowledge of what a married girl should be like were supposed to have helped me in this moment, and I always brushed them aside. I wish I hung on to her words closer, knew the woman more than I had pushed her away for trying to interfere with my life.

She was going to be the figure I missed the most in my coming marriage days. My mother finished her speech and checked to make sure everything was in place for our outfits.

“Now hurry. They are waiting for us.”

We rejoin everybody in the living room where tables have been set ready for the meal to commence. I was told to join Bee at the table, where I headed to.

For the first time, coming home again, I was standing next to the man who was to be my husband.

“Hey,” Bee said to me as I stood next to him.

“Hey,” I said back.

“How has it been for you?”

“Okay. How about you?”

“These old people have intentions of getting me drunk before I actually need to get drunk. Cousin Matt over here has been taking a lot of my drinks for me.”