③Why Are You Asking Me That?

Start from the beginning

"But I don't understand what kind of confidential information I can share with someone in the first place."

"If you were supposed to know that, I would have told you by now. That means you're not supposed to know or care. You should only care about your job and not interfere with anything else. Do you understand?"

Jeongguk nodded and began reading the contract, but a booming thud caused him to jolt in his seat. His agitated eyes flitted up, taking in the scowl on his face, his hand that was still planted on the desk, and the veins in his arm that throbbed from the bang.

"Didn't I say to answer me when you're talking to me?" he growled, his voice dripping with wrath and his eyes narrowed as he gave him a rowdy look.

"I'm sorry!" Jeongguk said in haste and hung his head. "No need to be so mean," he muttered a moment later as he shrank in his seat.

Taehyung's stiff face and contracted muscles mellowed upon hearing his mumble. He chose not to comment on anything, and instead, he sighed once more as he sank back into his chair, contemplating the black-haired boy, who was poring over the contract.

"Are you gay, little bun?"

Jeongguk almost choked on his spit and snapped his head upwards at light speed. "Why are you asking me that?"

"We don't work with people who belong to the LGBT+ community."

"Why?"

"Stop asking so many fucking questions. We don't work nor associate with people who belong there. That's all you need to know."

Jeongguk didn't like that at all. Not only because he himself was in that category, but because it felt utterly wrong not to hire someone just because they were gay. Meeting someone who had the same beliefs as his disgusting father infuriated him. But he couldn't do anything about it. He needed the fucking job to live, and if he had to lie to get it, he would.

The world was already too messed up, and rebelling against one close-minded businessman wouldn't change anything. There were still a thousand more just like him. The only thing that would happen was for Jeongguk to lose the job and the rich businessman to continue living his life carefree.

"I'm not gay." He tried his best to contain himself, even though all he wanted was to slam his fist against his face.

"Okay then. If you sign the contract, you're good to go."

Jeongguk took another glance at the contract. He didn't have a clue about those things either, but he didn't find anything too suspicious. Although everything that happened that day was surprising and quite dubious itself.

"You know, we will have a problem if you continue to not acknowledge me when I talk to you." Surprisingly, Taehyung's voice came out quiet and nearly soft unlike before.

"Um, I'm sorry. I'm not used to it," he mumbled as he reached for a pen that was on the desk. He signed the paper and slid it over, but he paralyzed once their gazes locked.

For the first time, Taehyung didn't have a smirk or a mocking smile on his features. Instead, his face was relaxed, almost expressionless, but he gazed at him with something soft swirling in pretty eyes, as if he were an equal person and not just some kid.

"You can go, little bun."

Okay, maybe Jeongguk was wrong after all.

⚜✳⚜