"lock the door on your way out!" my mom reminded me, already stepping onto their porch and being greeted by a woman.

i groaned and grabbed the keys in the kitchen and made my way towards our neighbor after figuring out how to lock the door. trudging to the heffley's door, i stopped in front of it. do i knock? i don't wanna be rude and just walk in like i'm the shit.

as i was about to raise my fist to knock the door opened.

"YA UH DON'T WAIT UP FOR ME GUYS IM JUST GONNA G-oH"

oh shit.

"hi" i smiled up at him. if my knees were to buckle right now i would simply understand.

his eyes were wide and he gulped.

"rodrick what are you doing?? let her in!" a man's voice rang and he came into view as well.

rodrick. didn't dana mention a rodrick?

"hello i'm frank, this is my son rodrick who won't move out of the... dang way" the man introduced himself while pulling rodrick back into the house.

i thanked him and walked in, beginning to feel nervous.

"actually... i think i'm gonna stay for a little.... ben said he was sick so...." rodrick slowly said as he took a seat next to greg while his mom rolled her eyes. i headed towards a seat next to joey, saying my hellos to everyone.

"and this is my oldest mary jane!" my mother introduced me.

"hello honey, i'm susan" the kind lady held her hand out to me to shake and i gladly took it with a smile.

"and this is little manny" i looked at the little boy sharing a seat with rivi. they were both giggling and playing with their food not caring about anyone or anything around them.

"and greg" the boy sitting across from joey gave me an awkward smile and a wave, trying to come off as cool. i couldn't help but grin at him.

"and my oldest boy rodrick, but you already met him" susan chuckled and continued the conversation she was having with my mom before i came. i took my time to look up at rodrick across from me. he had a slight blush and a little gleam in his eye.

"hey"

i was slowly feeling my panties drop.

"hey"

"oh! after lunch you should show mary jane your drums rodrick!" susan suggested with her eyebrows raised to the roof and widely smiling.

frank leaned into his wife and whispered, "susan, do you really think it's a good idea for rodrick to-"

"be supportive!"

"o-okay"

rodrick closed his eyes and sighed in embarrassment while i told susan that she could call me mary or mj.

lunch continued on and everyone was chatting it up and getting to know each other. greg and joey were raving about a new game they both wanted to get. rivi was feeding manny a sliced carrot while giggling. susan and frank were telling my mom about places to eat around town. but rodrick and i were acting like we both didn't exist to each other. he was pretending to be overly interested in what his mom was saying, causing frank to look at him weirdly and i tried to gauge into joey and greg's conversation.