"You owe me, Theo."

"I do."

Nathaniel and Theodore exchanged a few more words that Marie didn't catch. She debated leaving Nathaniel's side. She could use her safeword, which would throw his earlier stated rules out the door. But...

Trust.

Without a word, Nathaniel took Marie by the arm and weaved her through the crowd. She didn't know where he was taking her, but she held on regardless.

Nathaniel took Marie up a flight of stairs. A word didn't pass either of their mouths. It was silent, the only sound in the air of their own heartbeats and steps against the staircase.

The professor opened a door that led out to the terrace of Theodore's establishment. Regardless of what happened before, Marie knew a gorgeous view when she saw one. The night had darkened more since the couple had arrived, the stars peeking through the blanketed skies. The surrounding area was lit up dimly as glass flooring exposed the vibrant event underneath the student and professor's shoes.

It was a common misconception that only the submissive used safewords. A true dominant - a real dominant - knew when to put things aside when their partner couldn't.

Thus, Nathaniel spoke. "Vanilla."

Marie's head whipped around in an instant as the word left Nathaniel's lips. He never broke his eye contact, holding Marie's eyes up to his own. A silent agreement passed them.

It was the beauty of a safeword.

Marie left Nathaniel's side. She walked up to the edge of the terrace, a terrifying drop to the pavement below her. She slowly took in the view. The cars driving through congested traffic, lights of numerous rooms flickering on and off in buildings, and people moving about within the artificially lit city. It was beautiful.

And it grounded Marie for a moment.

Marie heard Nathaniel's footsteps slowly approaching her, the sound of them against the pained glass flooring filling the empty and uneasy air.

He finally stopped right behind the student. He didn't speak, nor touch her. Nathaniel wanted Marie to speak first.

The young student began remembering some of Nathaniel's earlier words. Especially when he told her how his past relationships had ended because of his career getting in the way.

"I just need to know, Nathaniel..." Marie tried her best to not let her voice crack. "If it was between me and taking Stinton's place..."

Marie turned around to face Nathaniel, in hopes of at least an immediate answer. Instead, she saw hesitance.

She turned back around, looking at the city view once again.

Marie wanted to slap herself, punish herself. What the hell was she thinking this entire time? A relationship like this - built on the grounds of broken rules - was bound to end traumatically.

But both the professor and student ignored the signs, choosing bliss versus reality... making the crashing of truth all the more painful.

This wasn't going to work.

Even if Nathaniel got the position without a single hindrance... then what? They would have to remain a secret until Marie graduated, a full two years later.

Would Marie then find a job in the city? Would her and Nathaniel move in together? Would the public question the university president for dating someone almost a decade younger and just out of college?

It was too many variables. Variables the two had ignored up till now. And thinking about them felt like bullets in Marie's already constricted chest.