26 | Glass Box

PETER

_

"She was like a completely different person," I mumbled, "it scared me a little."

The tower should have been bustling with life, but instead it just seemed dead and empty. There was nothing to celebrate. Even though [y/n] came back, it wasn't really her, and she didn't remember a thing.

My hands were still shaking from when I knocked her out.

"Scared me too," Steve said, his finger tapping lightly on the table, "the first time I saw her alive."

"We thought she was dead," Bucky said.

"She's still inside, right?" I urged, "she's just under someone else's control?"

Bucky shrugged, "we won't be able to know, until we find a way to get her back."

Before I could respond, the door slid open, and Mr. Stark walked in. He was holding another one of his projectors, and tossed it on the table lazily.

"She's been detained," he said bluntly, turning to face me, "you need to tell us everything you know, kid."

From the holo-cube, a tiny security video started to play, broadcasting live. From what we could see, [y/n] was pacing around in a glass box, slamming her fists against the wall in anger.

An anger that I had never seen her with before.

"I don't understand," I said, "how could you just lock her in a cage like that?"

"Would you rather her be able to walk around and kill people on sight?"

"But she's not an animal!"

"But she's not [y/n] either," Stark sighed, "her condition is dangerous right now, and we can't take any more risks."

I turned my head back to the projector, watching silently as she slumped onto the floor. I felt horrible watching it. This was the life she had lived for so long, and the second she got a chance to lead a new one, it's taken away from her.

I should have been there to protect her.

"I already contacted Point Break," the man continued, "and he's on his way here to pick up the Tesseract."

"Who's Point Break?"

"Thor," Steve sighed, "Loki's brother."

"Oh."

"We can't risk her trying to steal the tesseract again, so it's better if Thor brings it back to Asgard as soon as he can."

As if she heard us, [y/n] sat up from where she was laying, looking around the room. Once she caught sight of the camera, she scowled and held up her finger. I looked away too quickly to know which one, but I could only assume.

She was scary like this.

"I need to see her," I stated, getting up from my chair.

Bucky rolled his eyes. We weren't on the best terms after I called him out last night.

"You can see her through the screen," he said, pointing at the projector.

"I need to talk to her."

"She won't remember you."

"But I have to try," I frowned, heading towards the door.

Ignoring the elevator, I scampered down the stairs to get there as quickly as I can. The glass box was in Mr. Stark's workshop, heavily guarded by security. I didn't like the idea of her being closed off like a criminal.

Even though she technically was one.

But that wasn't the point, her real self wouldn't do that.

Entering the workshop, I brushed past the lineup of buff guards, and approached the box. [y/n] was still making faces at the camera, but turned her head when she heard the sound of my footsteps.

"Back off," she growled, pushing herself onto her feet.

I didn't listen, but kept walking my path, until I was a few inches away from the glass.

"Hey," I said, tilting my head, "I'm sorry you have to be locked inside."

"I don't care for your apologies," she frowned, "just get the hell away from me."

"Do you really not remember me?"

She didn't say anything, just glaring at me with pure hatred. Suddenly, her metal fist slammed against the glass, the whole contraption starting to shake. She expected me to flinch, but I didn't. I sensed that she'd do that, seconds before the hit.

"Try to remember me," I pleaded, "this isn't you."

"Don't tell me who I am," she grimaced.

"The real you wouldn't be like this."

"Shut up!"

"You were kind to me."

"Stop talking!"

"You were never angry."

"Maybe I was always angry," she yelled smacking the glass again, "ever think about that?"

I snapped my mouth shut, hanging it so all I could see was the ground. She had a point; maybe she was always mad. She just never had the chance to show it, or she'd be seen as unstable.

"Tell me, then," I sighed, "were you?"

"Was I what?"

"Always angry?"

She flared her nostrils, crossing her arms against her chest. It was useless. She wouldn't tell me, and I doubted she even knew the answer herself. Maybe she really didn't remember anything.

But I couldn't stop trying.

"May misses you," I said quickly, "we all did."

[y/n] didn't respond, turning her back on me. She paces around, ignoring what I said.

"You can talk to me," I assured, "you can tell me anything you want."

"And why should I do that?" she spat out.

"Because you know me, and I know you.."

"No you don't," she growled, her hair failing over her eyes, "I don't know you, and I don't want to."

"Then why didn't you kill me?"

She opened her mouth to respond, but hesitated. I kept waiting for her to say something, but she didn't. Instead, she walked away, not saying a word. Slumping into the corner furthest away from me, she closed her eyes and covered her face with her arm.

I turned away, ready to leave, but muttered something under my breath.

"I'll get you to remember me," I whispered, "one day."