17 | Family Dinner

Y/N

_

"Today...." I started, my eyes glued to the camera in front of me, "I let someone hug me for the first time in a while."

I was sitting cross-legged on my bed, trying to figure out how to word my sentences. My voice was slightly hushed, just in case Peter was trying to listen to what I had to say in his room next door.

"I don't really know if that counts as adjustment," I continued, "but I feel really different right now. Not like I'm miraculously fixed, or anything, but just more open. Open to other people."

Even though the thought of touching other people was still a little hazy, that hug showed me that I didn't have to be closed off anymore. At least not with Peter.

As I pressed the recording button off, my ears perked up at the sound of a soft knock on the door. Was Peter listening?

"Hey," the boy said, pushing open the door softly, "I just wanted to let you know that dinner was ready."

I nodded my head, "thank you."

Usually he just let me know, then walked away, but this time he stood there. He looked like he was waiting to say something.

"What's up?" I said, shoving the video camera under my pillow.

"I just wanted to know if you wanted to eat with me and May," he offered.

Oh.

After accidentally threatening Peter on my first day, it was clear May was scared of me. Maybe not terrified, but definitely not comfortable. That's why I only ate in my room.

"I don't think that's a good idea," I sighed, "your aunt might not like that."

"I already talked to her about it."

"You did?"

He smiled, leaning up against the doorpost, "she says it would be nice to get to know you, finally."

That was surprising. I never had my fair share of second chances, but this was well appreciated. Maybe it was just the Parkers, but somehow I felt more accepted. I just had to wait for the rest of the world to do it.

"Okay," I nodded, sliding onto my feet, "I guess that would be alright."

I followed the boy out into the living room, where May was already sitting down at the table. Her eyes lit up when she saw me, and gestured to the chair in front of her.

"[y/n]!" she exclaimed, "take a seat."

I bit my lip, slowly sitting down. On the table in front of us was an assortment of random things you'd find in a kitchen cabinet: kraft macaroni and cheese, tomato soup, black beans, and other stuff. I was hungry.

I watched silently as Peter sat down next to me, handing me a plate filled with one of everything on the table.

"Thank you," I mumbled, still hesitant about this idea.

May tapped her fork against the table, a smile on her face, "how was school?"

I glanced at Peter, who clearly hadn't told her what happened. I was partially glad for that. The hug was our little secret.

"It was fine," I said bluntly.

May nodded her head, "that's good to hear."

"[y/n] went to stark tower for most of it," the boy next to me explained, "Mr. Stark needed her."

"Oh, that reminds me, how is the internship?" May asked Peter.

He laughed, turning to look at me, "I'm just glad I met a lot of amazing people."

He was obviously referring to me. Obviously. And I don't mean to sound like a self-centered jerk when I say that, but the only reason why I'm saying it, is because Peter is staring directly at me. Like I'm some amazing thing that just happens to be sitting at his dining room table.

I'm not. At least not in my eyes.

"Speaking of Mr. Stark," Peter continued, "Ned and I came up with a really good joke this morning."

"Joke?"

"Yeah, wanna hear?"

I nodded my head, poking at my plate with my fork. Spontaneous jokes were definitely not the usual for me.

Peter cleared his throat, "why did Mr. Stark hate his new assistant?"

"Why?"

"Because he wasn't Happy!"

Happy. Happy hogan. Because the new assistant wasn't Happy. Hogan or the emotion.

I wasn't sure what happened at that moment, but as soon as that clicked in my brain, a sound erupted from the back of my throat and I squinted my eyes in excitement. What the hell was this?

As soon as it happened, May and Peter stared at me in surprise. I was surprised as well, but not nearly as much as them. Once the noise coming from my vocal chords ceased, I slumped back into my chair and bit my lip.

"I'm sorry," I said, covering my lips with my fingers, "I haven't laughed in awhile."

It took them a moment to process what I just said, before I saw a soft smile appear on both of their mouths. Peter looked absolutely amazed, and May looked content. I felt neither of those things.

"Don't be sorry," May said, "you have a pretty laugh."

Peter grinned, "yeah, you do."

I always thought I sounded like a deranged penguin when I laughed, but that's only what I heard through my ears. Maybe they heard it in a different way. That made me slightly happier.

For the rest of the night, the three of us talked a lot more than I had ever spoken to a single person in the week I had been here. I listened to storied that Peter had about him and Ned, and I heard about crazy cooking mishaps May had in the kitchen.

Surprisingly, I felt like I had been welcomed into the arms of the Parker Family, and they didn't want to let me go. I didn't want to let go either.... But I had to. For now. Tony said he needed me to go to the tower for more tests tomorrow morning, so I needed to sleep.

"I should get some rest," I said, setting my fork down, "thank you for the food, May."

She smiled, "are you sure you can't stay up a little longer?"

"I'm sure."

Pushing my chair in behind me, I turned back towards my room. As I was approaching the door, the right side of my foot got caught on the carpet and slammed into the living room couch. Toppling over, I let out a small squeal in pain.

"Are you okay?" Peter said, shooting up from his seat.

May stood up from her's too, a worried expression on her face, "I can get the first ai kit."

"No, it's all fine," I nodded, "I just stubbed my toe."

Waving my hand in assurance, I retreated into the room, shutting the door softly behind me. I felt complete now. Like the part of me that had been dark for so long, was finally exposed to sunlight.

Even though it was a small thing, and probably unnoticeable to anyone else, it meant a lot to me. When I dropped the textbook book before, I remembered the painstaking silence that followed it.

But now, even with a simple trip of the carpet...

They both came running.