strange day and stranger phone calls

Take the numbers out my phone, go 'head and call 'em

They ain't ever had my back like you got it

-We are, Justin Bieber

Justin

If I wasn't busy juggling my homework and making a bottle for my baby brother or chasing around my little sister with freshly painted pink nails, I was out making ends meet to help my Mom. That was growing up for me. I'm sure if I bet with my life, I would still be practically living that life but on a harder level if I didn't end up meeting Ryan when I moved here.

But if I didn't meet her too, I wouldn't know what danger in heaven was actually like.

"Sorry I took so long, I forgot to write my name. Who even does that?" Sophie rambled delicately once she rushed out of her last class. It's been a couple of weeks after the incident and up to this day, a trace of that night was something she was still coming into terms with. 

There were only spurt of memories here and there. A recognition of second or two where she'd sometimes look away from me, be in her own little space before asking if there was something she consumed that night that kind of erased a part of her life. But what could I tell her? I only relied on her friends and the narrative they gave me. The only person I can see at this point who could clarify that is not even an option. Agatha's definition of fun isn't normal.

"You have practice today?" I forced my eyes to snap myself out of what happened and instead, just where I'm good at, I kept telling myself that all is well if I lied.

"Hmmm," I draped a casual arm around Sophie to flush her against my side. "Yeah, after my shift so I have to go back."

"Oh well that sucks, I was kinda you know..." There was an easy frown that came on my face upon hearing the slight tease on her voice.

"Kinda what?"

"Kind of free today." Sophie let out a shy smile just when we exited the main building.

I was about to compensate and tell her to watch me train when I spotted two familiar figures on the other side of the parking lot. It was Agatha and Daniella talking too closely that made me question if that Friday road trip really happened. A sudden emotion passed over me. A dawn of betrayal and worry? Something about her still being friends with them somehow always put a bad taste in my mouth. A tinge of disappointment clouding me when I see her communicating with them even if it wasn't on the best set of terms.

"Justin?" A slight tap on my cheek pulled me back to my other reality.

"The what? I just thought I saw someone." There was no denying it anyway.

"The girls invited me over for a study group. I was thinking of going instead since I really did suck at our pre-test in Physics. I can't afford another C minus."

Just then the familiar sequence of having to trust Sophie around her friends made me feel like I was back with Agatha. The sudden worry if whether I was being too much of an obsessive care freak who wouldn't trust his girl with her friends or I was making the right choice by being cautious placed me in a silent battle.

I didn't want to think too much of it. Agatha was Agatha and whatever that mess of a night and mess of her friends were both different to what Sophie had now. Sophie was good. Sophie was safe. She had better friends.

"You don't have to ask permission from me. Just letting me know is good but it's your life, Soph." 

"I get that it's just, you know what happened that night I just can't shake that I was too irresponsible to get drunk like that. That wasn't my nature at all." With a shake of her head, I tried to understand Sophie's sentiment about it. But the more she tells me about it, I can't help but feel like there was something missing with the situation that occurred that night.