Chapter 8: Comfortable

Start from the beginning

Sungjae noticed Joy's sudden change of mood.

Orphanage?

He wanted to ask more but he thought it would be best to just crack a joke for now. It's too much to bring out some drama more so in a chicken place. "You know how those princess stories tell you that fairy godmothers would name a baby and she becomes like that as she grows up? Something like that?"

Joy chuckled. "I'm not a princess, though. Just that poor kid in the story where her parents left her for some reason, ended up in the orphanage, outgrew that place and had to overcome the world by herself"

Sungjae looked at Joy straight in the eyes, "I still think you're a princess, though. A brave one" and smiled sincerely.

She must have gone through so much. How could she still be so nice?

Joy could only smile half-heartedly. She still doesn't know how to accept compliments. She barely receives one, anyways. It seems that Sungjae could always see the positive in everything. Well, of course, she doesn't know about his own heartbreak yet.

"Joy? If it's okay to ask, what's your real name then?"

Joy had a mini inner battle on whether to say it or not. She has never told anyone of her real name. But Sungjae... the great crasher of her walls just asked. Something about the sincerity in his eyes made Joy answer in the end.

"S-sooyoung" Joy even stuttered.

"It's a beautiful name. It fits you, too. Can I call you Sooyoung from now on?" Unknown to Joy, Sungjae's heart was beating so fast right now. Drips of cold sweat were evident on his forehead. He gambled at asking that very question knowing that it might be too sensitive for Joy. He needs to make his costumers feel at home, right? Well that's what he thinks. That's what he wants to believe... for now.

Surprised by his request, Joy just nodded.

I'll leave soon anyways, I guess I'll just let him be.

"You're getting too many benefits already, huh, my dear student!" Joy tried to lighten the mood. She doesn't want this to go any further.

"As much as I like being your student, I think you should call me by my supposed name also, Sooyoung"

Shivers went to Joy's spine. Hearing her name from Sungjae's mouth will probably take time to get used too.

"Huh? Sungjae isn't your real name?" Joy asked.

"It is. But you're supposed to call me... Oppa" Sungjae grinned widely and winked at Joy. He didn't want to admit it, but he felt a tiny bit of jealousy whenever Joy would call Changsub with an Oppa. He wanted Joy to call him that, too, but he felt awkward at asking her to say that randomly. This was his much awaited perfect time.

Joy's eyes widened. "We seem to be the same age! Why would I call you that?" She was blushing right now much to her dismay.

"I'm a year older than you... and before you even think that I'm stalking you, let me just remind you that you placed your birthday on the application form when you booked my unit" Sungjae teased Joy. Okay, maybe he did try to stalk Joy on social media accounts but he couldn't find any so he was left with the application form.

I just checked for safety reasons. Psh.

Joy was obviously defeated. "F-fine, O-oppa" Joy tried to say coolly but her tongue failed her.

Hearing that however made Sungjae's heart go on a whole roller coaster ride and he just stare at Joy with wide eyes.

What are you doing to me?