The Worst Deals

"Where have you been?"

"Nowhere."

Jack stopped her in their tracks. She sighed and avoided his eyes, but he lifted her chin back to him. He saw her bloodshot eyes and puffy cheeks.

"You did it, didn't you?" he asked softly.

She nodded. He sighed and pulled her into a hug. She had already cried enough tears on the way home. There was no more she could give. She just stood numbly as her brother comforted her, but even his normally peaceful presence couldn't help her.

He sighed and pulled away, "I'm sorry, Rory."

"It was my decision...now it's my consequence."

"Still...I can feel the pain you're going through."

She shook her head, "You can't possibly begin to understand what I'm feeling. Everywhere I go, I see the two of us. What I'm feeling is beyond pain."

He sighed and nodded, "I'll stay with Alec today. Why don't you stick with Izzy?"

She agreed and they separated. Jace caught up with her just as she reached the door to the weapons room.

"What the hell?"

She sighed and faced the enraged blonde. He stepped up to her, "What is wrong with you? Breaking things off with Alec? I thought you loved him!"

"I do!" she defended lowly, "It's complicated."

"Then uncomplicate it!"

"Listen," she snapped, "I made a decision. Okay? And I know it hurts but...he's strong. He can heal."

"You are his true love, Rory! He can't heal from that!"

She looked away to hide her tears. Jace could sense a change in her demeanor. He softened and lowered his voice, "Why did you really do it?"

"I already told you it's complicated."

"Both of you have parabatai's and both of us can sense that you guys are in pain," he reasoned, "I think we deserve to know why."

"The reason isn't simple," she stated, "But it's what needed to be done."

She left it at that and walked into the lab. She stayed silent at the table as Izzy and Simon subtlety flirted with each other. She absentmindedly toyed with the weapons on the table. Simon left the room to grab some food for them, leaving the two girls alone.

"So..." Izzy started, "Alec came home upset last night."

"He told you?" Rory sighed.

Izzy nodded, "I know you love him...which is why I know there's more to this separation than just needing a break. What is it?"

Rory shrugged and looked back down to the knife in her hands. Izzy walked over and continued doing her work, but refused to drop the subject, "If you won't tell me, I guess I'll just have to figure it out on my own."

"You would rather die than give Alec up willingly, which means that this wasn't your choice," she deduced, "So what would make you choose to hurt him?"

"Izzy-"

"Or who would want the both of you hurt," she realized, "Did someone threaten you? Oh, but I'm order to be threatened, they'd need a leverage over you. Something that makes you vulnerable...maybe Jack? Or Magnus?"

Rory slightly tensed at the warlock's name. Izzy saw the motion and followed that lead, "So someone threatened Magnus? And you protected him by breaking Alec's heart."

"Izzy, please stop. Okay?" Rory begged, "It doesn't matter the reason."

She ignored her, "So if someone threatened Magnus, that means you chose him over Alec. And the only reason you would do that is because you feel guilty. But what could you feel guilty about?"

"Stop."

She gasped, "His magic! You felt guilty because Magnus lost his magic. And so someone threatened Magnus because he can't defend himself."

"Isabelle, drop it!" Rory snapped.

The Lightwood was taken aback by her reaction. Rory briefly closed her eyes and sighed. She decided that it was just easier to tell the persistent girl.

"Asmodeus told me that he could give Magnus his magic back. But only if I broke Alec's heart," she explained.

Izzy gasped and moved around to her side of the table, "Rory...making a deal with Asmodeus?"

"I know...but Magnus had a drunken breakdown the other night, telling me how losing his magic made him feel useless. And I couldn't help but feeling like it was my fault," she said softly, "I'd rather Magnus be happy for the rest of his long, immortal life, than me be sad for the rest of my short one."

Izzy sighed, "Your guilt was killing you."

She nodded, "Alec means everything to me. But I'm indebted to Magnus...more than I can even offer. But if I can give him his magic back, I will. Even if I have to make the worst deal."

The other girl smiled sympathetically and gave her a hug. They stayed in that position for as long as it took for Simon to return with a bag of food. He clearly didn't read the somber mood of the room as he cheerily gave each of them their own box of Chinese.

They didn't have time to eat it since Alec and Luke ran in urgently, "Please tell me you've got the sword made."

Izzy shook her head, "Not yet. I've melted the metal down though."

The four watched as she pulled out the liquified metal. She gently set it down on the table and poured Simon's blood into it.

Once the blood was spilled, Rory heard soft whispers in her head again. She recognized the voice as Lilith's, egging her on to betray them. Her mind went out of focus and her purple eyes returned. They briefly glanced up to see if she was okay but she glamoured her appearance again.

They shrugged it off as Izzy poured the metal into the sword mold. They waited until it solidified and Izzy told them to stand back.

"If this works the way Cleophas described, the hammer will activate the heavenly fire," she informed, "And I'd prefer not to fry any downworlders."

They nodded and backed up behind a wall in the doorway. Alec avoided her eyes but addressed Rory, "You too."

She nodded and followed Simon and Luke. They waited until they heard a loud rumble to reveal themselves again.

They spotted the sword, it's gold shining brightly against the flames of energy. Izzy picked it up in awe, admiring its beauty.

"You did it," Simon gaped.

"We need to go," Alec commanded, cutting the moment of amazement.

Izzy quickly put the sword in a sheath. They all gathered their weapons and made their way to the entry hall.

They were about to exit, Jace's body was suddenly thrown from a portal and launched into the ops center.

"Jace, what happened?" Alec asked, rushing the check on his parabatai, "Where's Clary?"

He looked around in anguish. Alec picked him up off the floor as he panted,

"I lost her."

---