Magnus Bane

"Shit!"

Rory panted as she continued to panick. She shook Magnus' body, willing him to wake up. She checked for a pulse but couldn't find one.

"Shit!" she repeated.

She began compressions. Her worried eyes glanced over the blood that coated his mouth.

"Come on, Magnus!" she pushed.

Her presses became faster and harder. She added in magical strength into her pulses. Soft tears rolled down her cheeks as he continued to stay unconscious.

"Wake up!" she screamed, "Magnus!"

Alec, Izzy, and Catarina ran into the room at the sound of her shouts. Rory lost her breath as they kneeled by her. She quickly clasped Catarina's hand and swirled her hand over Magnus' chest.

Purple energy seeped into his body, the extra strength being drawn from Rory's hold on Catarina. After a few seconds, Magnus' breathing returned to a steady rise.

Rory sighed, but the relief was short. Alec helped her pull their friend off the floor. They took him to the infirmary where Catarina and the other nurses took him away.

Once they were out of sight, Izzy urgently pulled her sister in law into a tight hug. The other was too numb to return the gesture.

Izzy slowly pulled away, "I'm sure he'll be okay, Rory."

She nodded her head, her eyes still focused on the corner Magnus disappeared on. The siblings sighed and glanced at each other.

"We'll give you some space."

-

After almost two hours of waiting, Rory was finally able to see her friend. He was still unconscious, but at least he was alive.

She sat next to him on a chair by the bed. As she looked upon his worn face, tears rose on her waterline.

"I'm sorry, Magnus," she whimpered, "I should've known...I should've helped you. But instead, I chose to believe that you truly were okay. Which only led to you turning to Lorenzo for help. It shouldn't have come to that."

She picked up his hand and kissed his knuckles, "I thought that losing your magic was the least of our worries. But I didn't think that I could also lose you in the process."

Catarina walked in behind the girl. She noticed how emotional the shadowhunter was getting and decided to keep her distance until she was finished.

Rory sniffled, "I promise that I'll help you. Anything you need...I'll be right by your side to support you. I'd give up my own magic to save you."

Catarina lightly gasped, knowing that both of her friends might end up getting hurt in the end. She cleared her throat, stepping forward before the girl could continue.

Rory quickly wiped her tears and stood to face her, crossing her arms in a guarded way.

"I shared the test results with some doctors from the Spiral Labyrinth," Catarina informed, "Magnus' body is rejecting Lorenzo's magic."

"What do you mean rejecting?"

"Think of it like a failing organ transplant," she offered, "Every time Magnus performs a spell, it puts a tremendous amount of strain on his body. He got lucky."

Rory sighed, "I'm guessing next time he won't."

"Next time he uses magic, even for something small...he might not survive."

"Why can't you just take out Lorenzo's magic?" she questioned, "Remove the problem."

"I wish I could," Catarina said sympathetically, "But the only one who can undo the transfer is the one who gave it to him."