Death Doesn't Make It Right

Rory softly mumbled incoherently and buried her face into the pillow. Alec glanced over and grinned, "Did you sleep okay?"

"No talk before coffee."

He laughed and handed her a fresh cup. She gratefully took a sip and sighed, her eyes landing on his figure.

"You always look super handsome in the morning," she complimented, her tired eyes running up and down his body.

He rolled his eyes playfully and pulled her hand up, "Okay, come on beautiful. We can do all that stuff later but right now, Magnus is waiting for us to help him get used to the institute. Get up!"

She groaned as he picked her up and threw her over his shoulder. She smirked at her position, "Joke's on you, this is a great place to wake up to."

He huffed and put her down, brushing her hair out of her face. She pouted and he rolled his eyes, "Get dressed, Aurora!"

Reluctantly, she pulled on her jeans and a loose tank top. He took her hand and led her to the bustling cafeteria. Magnus waited for them by the door, clapping his hands as they appeared.

"Aurora, thank goodness!" he celebrated, "I was not prepared to enter this conglomeration of shadowhunters by myself."

Alec excused himself as she sighed and looped her arm in his, dragging Magnus to the buffet line. He slowly made his way through, being extremely picky about the lack of refined foods.

Once they entered the main seating area, the shadowhunters immediately silenced and stared at them. Magnus inhaled sharply and shuffled nervously.

"It's not too late to go out for breakfast," he reminded.

"And miss pancake day?"

Rory cleared her throat to address them all, "Excuse me! If I could have everyone's attention! Not that I don't see everyone already staring."

They all bowed their heads in embarrassment but gave her their attention no less.

"Under my supervision, Magnus Bane is now currently living at the Institute. You are to treat him with the same respect you give your fellow shadowhunters. If you have any comments or concerns, you can bring them up to me. Does everyone understand?"

They nodded respectfully before murmurs broke out. Rory led Magnus to the table where their friends sat. Jace waved, "Not that I'm upset you're here, but why are you here?"

He sighed, "Where to start? I just moved out of my apartment, but unfortunately, my real estate agent died a few hundred years ago, so...finding a new place has been a bit of a struggle."

Rory sat down her tray next to Alec. He pulled her chair closer and laid his arm on the back. She flashed him a quick smile before turning back to the table, "In the meantime, he's gonna he living with us for a little while."

"That's great!" Clary exclaimed.

"Yeah, absolutely," Jace agreed.

Izzy raised her glass in celebration, "Welcome to the Institute, Magnus."

He raised his glass but didn't drink it. He looked awkwardly across the room. Rory noticed and leaned in closer.

"It's not you," she reassured, "They just don't see a lot of warlocks."

"I can see why."

He snapped his fingers and changed his plain pancakes into a fancy breakfast. Rory sighed and caught a look of Alec's hand swiping her bacon.