𝟎𝟎𝟔. like and love do not mean the same thing

Start from the beginning

"Lord Berbrooke, you look in a great deal of pain." Violet muttered looking around to ensure that the group hadn't attracted unwanted attention from the rest of the ton. "Shall we continue this in a more private location?"

"I require no further conversation." Nigel snapped, turning to the Matriarch of the Bridgerton family. "Though, perhaps I am finally speaking to the true head of the Bridgerton house. For if it were you, I imagine you would have instructed your sister to take better care than to encourage certain attentions while alone with me on the Dark Walk at Vauxhall."

"That is mere hearsay from a lowly lord who hasn't been able to get a woman alone in his life." Calliope stated, taking a warning step forward to finish the damage already started on his face but Colin intercepted and pulled her back not wanting his sister to be the centre of the latest scandal in the Whistledown scandal sheet.

"But such a scandal could wreak havoc on even the most influential of families." Nigel stated wanting to assert his control over the situation. "What would someone like, say, Lady Whistledown do with such unseemly information?"

Anthony raised his chin up in disgust, staring the shorter man down dangerously. "Is that a threat?"

"It is certainly not." Nigel snapped with a smirk plastered on his lips. "Because in three days, I am to marry. I have the diamond of the season. I have the very best the ton has to offer. I have a Bridgerton. And I shall save her, as well as your entire family, from the ruin which you could not protect them. I look forward to the union of our great families."

Nigel then walked off in a hurry wanting to avoid the wrath of Simon or Anthony as both of them looked ready to issue a duel to the rat-faced man. Calliope glared angrily at the retreating back of the man with nothing but contempt in her eyes. She looked at the piece of paper that was left in his wake, wanting to rip it apart to free Daphne of his vial intentions.

Calliope looked around seeing that few eyes had fallen on the family, she knew that whatever was to happen next had to be done in private. She walked up to the footman and maids that were attending them at the picnic. "Would you please pack this up and bring it back to the house and set up the leftovers in drawing room? And could one of you please let the coachman know that we are ready to depart."

They all bowed and hurriedly completed they tasks as Violet and Calliope made sure that rest of the family was ready to leave.

"Callie, what are we going to do?" Eloise muttered as they walked arm in arm back to their carriage, she may not always how it but she share loved Daphne and thought of her sister going into this marriage was unthinkable.

"I don't know El." Calliope said as they reached the carriage and stepped in. "But I know this is not a discussion we wont to have in front of the ton."

Anthony, Violet and Daphne joined them in the carriage leaving Benedict and Colin to ride their horses back to the family home. It was an uncomfortable silence that filled the small space as Anthony taped the roof of the carriage to indicate that they were ready to depart.

Calliope reached across and placed her hand in Daphne's to try and offer a small amount of comfort for the shaking girl. She sat as though she had quietly reserved herself to her fate, whilst Violet just sat there blank looking out the window.

"I must issue my challenge to Berbrooke straight away." Anthony stated, looking as though he was resigned to his fate.

"Oh Anthony ..." Calliope trailed off staring at her brother in disbelief, not wanting her eldest brother to duel someone, not now and not ever.

"I assure you I've been properly trained in the manner." Anthony told his sister with a determined expression on his face. "I know rules to follow."

"You are not to duel with Lord Berbrooke. Do you understand me?" Violet exclaimed angrily, placing her hand against her head, wanting to be done with the topic of conversation. "I do not care what kind of training you think you may have. It is illegal, not to mention positively horrific."

Calliope rolled her eyes in disbelief as she stared at her brother. "And quite possibly the stupidest thing that you could ever do."

"Gentlemen are left with no other choice, mother." Anthony snapped looking at his sisters that were sitting across from him. "When a young woman, let alone one's sister, is rumored to be dishonored, the consequences shall be deadly!"

"It is no solution." Daphne said quietly not removing her gaze from the window. "Should Lord Berbrooke decide to make good on his threat before you shoot him dead, brother, what happens then? He may decide to open his tiny mouth at any moment, and then I shall be ruined ... as will we all."

"Daphne -"

"I must marry Nigel Berbrooke." Daphne concluded, with a dejected expression in her eyes. "It is the only choice."

Calliope exhaled sharply as she looked at her younger sister, knowing that there were very limited options for the young girl to partake in to stop the marriage. Calliope tried to think over any plan that would help her sister, because she wouldn't let her sister be forced into a loveless marriage, Daphne had dreamed of a marriage filled with love and happiness and that was what she deserved.