𝟎𝟎𝟏. a king or a mister

❛ each relationship nurtures a strength or weakness within you ❜

THE BEGINNING OF ANOTHER LONDON SEASON WAS ONE OF IMMENSE TREPIDATION FOR THE ELDEST DAUGHTER OF THE FORMER VISCOUNT BRIDGERTON. Calliope had already gone through three unsuccessful seasons, and even though she had received a multitude of respectable offers, she refused each and every one. Her eldest brother was growing insistent on her accepting one of her many suitors for the good of her family.

She was one of the more stubborn young ladies of the ton and she knew that none of the men would grant her the freedom that she dreamed for her life.

The bedroom was dark as Calliope woke from her slumber, sprawled under her blue, untidy duvet. Her eyes fluttered open, and she sighed heavily, knowing that it would be pointless fighting the last remnants of slumber. She often wished her sleep could last forever, that she would just float away in endless dreams.

She half wondered if she was still sleeping as she begrudgingly sat up and tucked a lock of her extremely unruly curly brunette hair out of her face. With a long sigh, she reached over and rang the bell beside her bed before slowly getting out of bed, her bare feet softly landing on the hardwood floor.

Her pale blue nightdress cascaded down her legs as she walked over to her vanity and picked up her midnight blue cardigan — that once had belonged to her father — and draped it over her shoulders.

She pulled open the curtains that covered the large windows that were behind her vanity and allowed the bright morning light to filter into her room. She peered into the unusually calm street below as it seemed to be just waking up. Just as she started to brush through her hair, she heard her door opening and when she spun around in her chair she was greeted with the sight of Evelyn, her maid. "Good morning, Evie."

"Good morning to your too Callie." Evelyn smiled, as she rested a tray with tea on her dresser before she poured her soon knowing just how much she liked it.

The two women were close in age and have worked together for the past five years meaning that they had a deep bond and whenever it was just the two of them, they acted more like the best friends they were than simply mistress and maid. That was the way Calliope preferred it to be because she would hate to treat the girl as anything less.

"The paper boys do seem to be running a bit faster than usual today." Calliope noted as she leant forward in her chair to see the young boys running and handing out pieces of parchment to all those they passed. "I wonder if there is a new magazine or paper."

"I'm not sure, Callie, but I am sure that you will have your answer by the end of the day." Evelyn joked as she pulled the girl's hair into a half-updo so it would look elegant but at the same time simple.