chapter one: space invaders

Start from the beginning

"It's Eileen, right?" Steve asked, a friendly smile playing on his lips, causing my heart to flutter. My heart jumped at the fact that he remembered my name. I smile and nod, too nervous to say anything back to him. 

"Well, I guess I'll see you at the Halloween party, if you decide to go," Steve chimed, nodding towards the flyer in my hand as a group of students walk past us. 

"Yeah, totally," I replied, biting my lip to stop from grinning like an idiot. He nods and walks down the hall, a warm and fuzzy feeling in my chest. It soon grew cold when I watched Steve kiss Nancy by her locker, Jonathan standing awkwardly next to them. He eventually walked someplace else and I averted my eyes from the happy couple to avoid feeling any less bitter and sad. 

The school day seemed to drag on like a dark cloud looming overhead, that was until my last class when it felt like it was actually storming inside my metaphorical brain. As I enter the classroom, the smell of hairspray and bubblegum wafting in my nose, I spot the person who almost killed me this morning reclining at his desk in the back of the class. It was even more unfortunate when I realized he sat directly behind my desk. This was my favorite class, not anymore. 

His black leather boots rested on top of my desk and I trudged over there, visibly annoyed. His eyes turn to me and he grins, mischief behind his ocean eyes, and removed his feet from off my desk. I throw him a fake smile before taking my seat, paying no further attention to him, but I could feel the holes burning in my back from his eyes so I turn around to face him. He quickly glances away, pretending he wasn't just staring at me, but I had already caught him in the act. 

"Can I help you with something?" I asked, my voice filled with sass, and he smiled, resting his face in the palm of his hand. I could smell his breath which still smelled of cigarettes and something sweet. Maybe cherries. 

"Yeah, actually," He began, a smirk on his face as he leaned back in his desk, exposing his muscular torso. "You can help me take these clothes off." I rolled my eyes and sighed even thought I could feel my face heat up from his stupid comment. 

"No thanks, I have better things to do," I replied, turning back around to face the board where the teacher had began writing down notes about a book project. I started copying down the notes from the board into my notebook when I felt his lips lean in close to my left ear. 

"Like what, Eileen?" He whispered, a shiver running down my spine at how close he was to me. 

"Like not talk to you." He didn't answer for a few minutes after that, but then broke the silence when the teacher began to give instructions about the book project requirements. 

"By the way, my name's Billy Hargrove," He stated, causing me to crack a smile. Now I know your name. 

"Oh, I know," I lied, scribbling down the rest of the notes on the board whilst trying to listen in on what the teacher was saying. 

"You have?" 

His tone was filled with surprise, but also an arrogance as if I was supposed to know who he was right off the rip. How big is his ego?

"No," I deadpanned, chuckling at how disappointed he must've looked that I didn't know who he was. I could feel him muster a smile behind me. The rest of the class period we didn't talk, but I felt his eyes glued to me, watching my every movement, and I wondered what could've been going through his mind. After the final bell rung, I turned around to look at him once more after shoving my books into my bag. 

"Don't hit a pedestrian on your way out," I joked, his eyes looking down at the floor and then back up at me, a smile playing on his lips. I flash him a small corner smile before walking out of the class, feeling his eyes trailing me all the way to the door, and towards my locker to meet Alexandra. I twisted the combination in my locker having remembered it from this morning as Alexandra sneaks up on me, nearly giving me a heart attack.