5 || Bike Bells

Shortly after a few carefree days, it was time for school. After bugging Jack for over ten gazillion times, he finally spilled the truth as to which school he went to.

The surprising fact was- we were going to the same school! Not that there were much options in our neighbourhood that could've resulted in a lower chance of us being in the same school.

"I haven't seen you before though. And I'm sure you didn't just move in or something," I said.

"I transferred. The people in my old school... Well, let's just say they found out something they weren't supposed to know." He shrugged and kicked his feet. We were sitting on the tire swing, and the last sunset of summer was disappearing behind the mountains.

"What? What happened?"

"I don't really want to tell anyone," Jack said.

"Not even me?" I asked, realising that that might have come out more conceited than I intended.

"I'm sorry, Chloe. I'll tell you when the time is right."

I pouted and stuck my tongue out, "Fine!"

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

"You're such a kid, Chloe," he joked, seeming less annoyed.

"Whatever, Jack. I'll see you at school tomorrow," I smiled. Those were the last words I spoke to him before everything set sail.

We had agreed to meet up outside the garden before setting off to school, which was a few streets away. Jack told me he had a bicycle, which helped me save up calories that would've been wasted for walking.

"Good morning," he said. I glanced at him- he was dressed in neat school attire, his button-up looking freshly ironed. I was surprised at his tidy demeanour, as you couldn't really expect much from a boy who lived in a garden.

"Good morning," I replied. "So that's your bike?"

He nodded and honked his bike bell proudly, "Yup! Hop on!"

I saw that there was only a saddle and frowned. "Where am I supposed to sit?"

"You'll fit, just hold on tight to me," he smiled and climbed onto his bike. "You have faith in me, right?"

"Not really, but I have no other choice," I joked and carefully settled myself behind Jack. I had been walking to school for four years, and now that I had a personal chauffeur, it made me feel something different.

It felt good.

Except for the fact that I had to wear a dusty old helmet and wrap my arms around Jack's waist which wasn't the ideal position for a comfortable ride. It was pretty breezy for a first-day-of-school, and I had to check my locket once in a while to make sure it didn't slip out. After all, wearing necklaces were against school rules.

This became our routine. Every morning, we'd go through the same procedures and we were always the zealous duo who communicated without talking. I didn't know back then, but I grew accustomed to our steady routine. Not only that, I grew accustomed to having him around.

School was nice. I showed him around our tiny campus and introduced him to my friends. We were in different classes but we managed to find each other among the flock of students waiting in line for lunch.

"Hello, Jack!" my friend, Miranda greeted us once we sat down at our table. Miranda wasn't exactly the most discreet person around, so I tried to keep Jack away from her as possible.

"Hi," Jack said politely and started munching on his apple.

"How did you two know each other?" Miranda asked excitedly before stuffing a handful of spaghetti into her mouth. I silently hoped that Jack was still on his apple, because my friends were just too weird for their own good.

"We were friends before he transferred," I said.

"Why did you transfer, Jack?" Miranda pestered.

"Oh, the people in his old school knew-" I was about to repeat what Jack said to me yesterday before he put a hand over my mouth. I jerked back in surprise.

"Dude!"

"You got something on your mouth," he said sulkily. "It's gone now."

Then he turned to the others, "I just didn't like it there. However, I'm sure I'll have a good time here!" He forced out a smile, yet I could tell it was faked.

I looked at him, puzzled. Why didn't he want anyone else to know? Despite being curious, I held back my concerns as I had a gut feeling I'd be smacked in the mouth again if I said something wrong.

"We bet you will!" Miranda squealed and clapped her hands, sipping her Coke loudly.

In retrospect, I realised that I was not very much different from Miranda, in spite of me disliking her indiscreet behaviours. In fact, that was one of my flaws. I'd brawl and battle just to reveal the truth that I thought everyone deserved to know. I was wrong. There were things- the ugly truth- that didn't deserve the limelight.

When I got my ride back to the garden, he spoke up.

"About the transfer thing..."

I looked at him expectantly, waiting for him to continue.

"Could we just leave that in the past? Let's not talk about it again," he said.

"But you promised me you'd tell me one day!" Young ones, I know that you probably despise me now. I was young, immature and totally annoying, but I will learn. I will learn it the hard way.

"One day. But before that, the past is in the past. Okay?"

"Okay."

"There are things that are better left unsaid," he muttered under his breath before waving a heartfelt wave at me, and pushed his bike through the heavy golden gates.

I waited until he disappeared completely before walking back to my house, my heart filled with determination to find out Jack's past.

_________________

This book progresses fairly slowly, as the timeline stretches from their childhood to when they are adults. But, if you're a reader of the old version, you'd know that things will get pretty crazy and heavy later on. However, I do try to add lighthearted chapters here and there to put a smile on your faces, so I'm not that evil ;)

Rosalind