True Love Touch - Part 3

Words: 4.7k

_______________________________

Malfoy was laying down on the grass when Harry came outside before supper.

It had been hard to convince Ron and Hermione to let him leave the tower at a time when people were awake and moving around the castle. He had almost given up on it, Hermione had been adamant about having him stay in the common room at all costs and Ron had looked at him with such a concerned gaze that it had almost pinned Harry to the sofa.

He had had to bring up the fact that he hadn't been outside and gotten some fresh air in way too long, that he needed to leave the tower and that he was starting to feel like a prisoner. His friends still hesitated but ended up letting him go when he promised he would avoid all the busy corridors and would just go outside and avoid everyone.

Of course, in a weird turn of events, avoiding everyone didn't include Malfoy.

Harry walked up to Malfoy, casting a shadow over him and making him open his eyes with an annoyed expression.

"Get away from the Sun, Potter," he said.

"Hello to you too," Harry grinned and moved to sit next to him.

"Shouldn't you be in your confinement, princess?"

It wasn't the first time that Malfoy had made the princess joke. He liked to make fun of Harry by saying he was like the damsel in distress in every fairytale who was waiting for the love of her life to save her from eternal danger.

"I was let out of an hour or so."

"How daring."

"What are you doing out here anyway?" Harry asked, laying back on the ground.

"It's a beautiful day to enjoy some rays of sunshine."

"Sure, I believe that."

Malfoy sighed and Harry heard the rustling his robes made as he shifted next to him.

"I wanted to get away from the castle for a while. It was getting suffocating. Either Pansy and Blaise are hanging off my arm or someone is sending glares my way and I needed a time out."

"I know what you mean. I'm getting tired of looking at the same walls all the time."

"I would be too if I had to look at Gryffindor walls for more than five minutes."

"How do you even know what Gryffindor walls look like? You never saw them."

"I don't need to see them to know that they are horrible. Gryffindors aren't known for their impeccable taste." Malfoy turned his head to give him a pointed look.

"You're funny, Malfoy," Harry rolled his eyes.

"One of my many qualities."

It was still weird to joke around with Malfoy. It was weird to talk to him so naturally and laugh with him. After everything that had happened between them over the years, having this normalcy with him that resembled the starts of friendship was weird. But it wasn't unwelcome and that was what surprised Harry the most.

"I asked my mother to send me some book from our library and I've been reading some," Malfoy started. "They're about curses. If you want, I can lend you the ones I'm not reading and you and your little friends can see if they have anything of interest."

There was still a condescending tone to Malfoy's voice in the way he was calling Ron and Hermione his 'little friends' but Harry knew that he was saying it in a more self-preservation way. He was already showing that he cared by asking his mother for the books, by reading them and offering to lend him. Harry knew that Malfoy still liked to hide beneath the mask of a perfectly unbothered expression, but what mattered was under that mask and Harry was learning how to see that.