Madi Sinha vs Fadwa: "Negative" AOC review

[Getting to know the drama in the community, can teach us lessons, & prepare us for the future

[Getting to know the drama in the community, can teach us lessons, & prepare us for the future. It can also be hella entertaining.]

August 16, 2020

.

.

We were wondering g how we would describe this incident, but this tweet sums it up neatly...

.

.

Popular Booktuber Fadwa was asked by new author Madi Sinha for an honest book review. Fadwa is known for trying to help BIPOCs in the community, and has a form authors can fill to get reviews. Fadwa did not know who Madi Sinha was before hand. When Fadwa DNF-ed the book and gave it less than 5 stars... Madi Sinha went on a Twitter rant about it, but made it seem like the reviewer was White & had disliked the book for racial reasons. She also claimed that Fadwa had contacted her and not the other way around...  She also claimed it was done to get free books...

"Could not relate to the X character" has become a lightning rod in the BIPOC segment community, because it seems that many White readers/reviewers can relate to werewolves & vampires, but not BIPOC characters. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Yes, not all BIPOC creators are AMAZING, but it is staggering percentage-wise how many more times a BIPOC writer is told this versus a White writer. Especially when you compare it to the percentage of BIPOC readers that can relate to all characters in general.

Anyway, Madi Sinha's rant took advantage of this problem to garner sympathies.

1) assume all reviews will be honest unless otherwise stated

2) "negative" reviews are subjective. They could be positive or intriguing  to someone else.

3) be professional

4) you WILL be dragged if you pull some crap & folks will pull out receipts months or years later. Everything is getting screenshot.

5) consider why you didn't relate to a character, it's ok if you didn't, just take a moment to ask why?