Chapter 2

At 3:00 exactly, I rang the doorbell hesitantly. I waited for someone to open the doors of the house. Actually, house wouldn't be the word I'd use. The building in front of me was more of a castle or a mansion that just your average house. I began to bite my nails, as I waited for someone to answer the door. Maybe, I'd came to the wrong address. Maybe, I hadn't entered it correctly into the GPS on my phone. 

As I began to slowly step away from the house, the door clocks clicked and an older man, who was wearing a suit, stood in the large doorway. He smiled and put his arm out, gesturing for me to come inside. 

"Hi, you must be Mr. Matthews?" I reached my hand out to shake his hand. 

An amused smile took over his face, and he laughed. "No, dear. I'm Charles, the butler." 

I could feel my face begin to heat up. How could I be so stupid? Of course, with a house like this, there was no chance that Mr. Mathews himself would answer the door. 

I had no idea what my boss is going to be like. Over the phone, he just sounded like a normal man. With any luck, he won't be a snuck up snob. 

"Sir! Miss Crawford is here!" 

I heard a very noticeable voice saying that he'd be down in just a second.  Where had I heard that voice? A minute later, a man approached the doorway and looked up from the phone in his hands. He looked up at me with surprise.

I felt my mouth form a little 'o'. It was the man that I'd met at Starbucks with Hailey earlier that day. He must have been Mr. Matthews' son.  If he was, this was going to be an interesting job. 

"Um, so you're Mr. Matthew's son? This is a coincidence." I felt a pink blush fall upon my cheeks as both Charles and who I thought was Mr Matthews' son looked at me. 

"My father is a grumpy, old man that lives in London. I am the only Mr. Matthews in this household," he said with a slight smirk.

"Oh." Did this mean what I thought it meant?

He chuckled, and I looked down at my scuffed shoes. Suddenly, I felt as if I was under dressed. An awkward silence had occurred, and Charles wasn't there to fill the void either.

"So, you said you had a room for me?"

The man jumped at my words, almost as if he'd completely forgot I was there.

"Oh yeah, follow me." He led me up the stairs, down a long hallway, around a corner and finally, we walked up to three rooms.

He pointed at the left one. "Your room."

He pointed at the middle. "En-suite bathroom with two entrances, this one and one through your bedroom."

He pointed at the last door on the right. "Any cleaning supplies you might need are in there. Now, do you have any questions for me?"

"Do I start work right now?" I asked. He never told me when I would actually start, just when to come over.

He looked at the watch that was secure on his right wrist and said, "There's not a point of you starting today. You can start tomorrow. I will make a list of the main things I want done. This place hasn't had a good clean in a while. I'll get Charles to bring up your suitcases Nat- sorry, I mean Ms. Crawford."

I frowned at his formal response. It was clear that he wasn't showing his fun side that I saw at Starbucks.  I needed to get over this little crush on him. He was my employer now.

I realised I'd been completely lost in my own thoughts when he said a brief goodnight with a polite nod. I mumbled a quick thank you and goodbye before watching him walk back down the hall.

I turned the door knob to my new room. Upon seeing the room, I realised that my whole house wouldn't struggle to fit inside this one bedroom. 

Sitting down on the king sized bed, I knew that this was going to be a very interesting job. I knew that from the minute I passed the threshold. 

A/N:

So kind of cheesy, right? I don't really care though! Nothing wrong with righting a nice, cheesy story. I promise things will get more exciting though ;-)

QOFC (question of the chapter): What is the weirdest dream that you've ever had?

Anyway, if you enjoyed the chapter, please comment and vote! Thanks for reading x