Chapter 3

The nights had begun to turn cold again, and it was the first night I had to bundle myself to keep warm while tending to the outside chores.

I took care of the livestock, aiding the stable hands where they had become shorthanded.

Sasuke appreciated it most; once the Konoha military was replaced by Shion's forces, the knights had been demoted to keeping the horses. By sheer coincidence, one of the few hands that had not been sent away was the once revered Captain Sasuke Uchiha. I knew he must have been very lonely; his brother and his supporting knights had all been sent off, banished, or worse. Itachi, from what I could remember, hid away somewhere and begged Sasuke to go with him, but Sasuke refused to leave his country so easily. At least, that is what the rumors had said.

I walked into the stables, appreciating the warmth they provided. The heat from the animals must have been enough to warm the space to a comfortable temperature, and the golden light from the lanterns added to the rich atmosphere. The wooden barn smelled of hay and livestock, and I clutched my wool wrap around my shoulders as I breathed in the feeling. Of course, the temperature wasn't the only part of the barn that made it feel so inviting.

Sasuke sat on a stool, his raven hair falling over his forehead as he held the horse's hoof under his elbow. He worked against the rough foot with a file, tending to the nail with a steady hand.

When he looked up, he smiled with closed lips and hummed in acknowledgment of my presence. I nodded, smiling in the same fashion.

"Evening, Sasuke," I said, propping myself on a stall door across the hall. A pretty white mare appeared next to me, and he nudged my shoulder with her big, soft nose. I rubbed her forehead affectionately.

Sasuke grinned, released the hoof from his hold and stepping out of the open stall. He dragged the stool with him and set it in the dirt before shutting the swinging door behind him. When he turned to me, he wiped at his dirty forehead, the dust from the barn mixing with his sweat. I stared at the way his muscles bulged in the long sleeves he wore, the sweat of his hard work making the material cling to each crevice of his flesh.

I admired it, more than anything. Sasuke never gave up his knight training, even when he was demoted to practically a slave. In the dead of night, sometimes I would catch him with his sword- no doubt stolen and hidden away- in the barn, swinging and stabbing as gracefully as any officer. Even if his uniform was taken, Sasuke still remained captain in his soul, and in my eyes.

Sasuke blushed a little, taking note of my wandering eyes. "Shall we get to work, then," he huffed.

I nodded, patting the mare one last time before shrugging out of my wrap. "Absolutely," I said, grabbing at the brushes.

As Sasuke and I brushed the horses, we kept each other busy with idle chat. My evenings were always more enjoyable when Sasuke was there to listen to me.

Sasuke Uchiha may have been skilled in battle, but socializing seemed entirely foreign to him.
"So," I said, nonchalantly. "I met the new butler."

"Yeah?" Sasuke ran his brush through the pretty white mare's mane.

"Mhm," I replied. I brushed carefully along her spine, working to get off the dust. "Just a few days ago. He seems very nice, nothing like I would expect of the queen's attendant."

"Hm," Alyn hummed.

"You know," I said, brushing the horse's belly, "it's really strange. He's so young. He couldn't be more than thirty. I thought butlers were supposed to be old and wrinkly, spending years devoted to learning how to do their jobs."

Sasuke nodded again, moving to brush the mare's belly, opposite of where I worked.

"And his whiskers," I laughed, "his whiskers are almost like a cat or something. Such a strange whiskers! I've never seen anyone like him."

Sasuke stopped. He stood upright and looked at me, his eyes strangely focused. "Whiskers?"

I stopped brushing as well, meeting Sasuke's gaze with my own confusion. "Y-yes? What? Do you know him?"

Sasuke immediately shook his head, and started brushing away at the mare once again. "No."

I pursed my lips, struck by Sasuke's immediate reaction. Nevertheless, I continued working in silence.

"Hey." Sasuke said, suddenly moving around to where I worked. "You should get some rest."

"What?" I shook my head. "I haven't finished yet. We've barely even started-"

"Hinata," Sasuke said softly. He reached out and patted my head sweetly. "You've done more this past year to help me than anyone. Thank you. Please, just let me give you tonight to rest. I know how early you get up in the morning."

"Sasuke- hey!"

Sasuke chuckled, prodding my forehead. "Get," he said, pushing on my shoulders.

After a little convincing, Sasuke was able to push me out of the barn. I pulled my wrap closely around me, and headed back to my bedroom.

When I had left, however, Sasuke's smiling face faded into something like confusion.

It couldn't be him, he thought.

That is, until someone appeared in the entrance to the stable. "Captain Uchiha," said a cheery voice. "It's an honor to see you again."

Sasuke whipped around, his eyes wide in shock. "Naruto?"

The man smiled, tossing his bangs back from his forehead. He pushed away from his leaning position in the doorway, and sidled into the stable. "Captain," he said, his voice low. "I need your help."

______

"Oh, Sir Sasuke," Sakura sighed, falling back on her sheets in our tiny bedroom. "He's an absolute dream already, and now he's thoughtful too? I don't think my heart can take it!"

I giggled at her, rolling my eyes as I turned down my sheets on my own bed. "Honestly, Sakura! You're such a tart!"

"Hey!" She threw her pillow at me, squealing in laughter. "At least I'm not a prude!"

My cheeks flushed wildly. "You wench!" I picked up the pillow off the floor, and bat her head with it. Sakura defended herself with her own pillow, giggling loudly as we fought each other. After a valiant fight, Sakura threw up her hands. "I surrender! I surrender!"

I flopped down on her bed next to her, laughing. We both panted happily, Sakura stretching her arms above her head as I curled into her side. After a moment, I frowned. "Do you really think I'm a prude, Sakura?"

"Aw, Hinata!" Sakura whined, throwing her arms around me. "Of course not! You're just innocent, that's all!"

I pinched my lips, toying with the hem of my nightgown. I sat up and tucked my knees to my chin. "Yes, but is that a bad thing?"

Sakura sat up beside me, folding her legs to her side and propping herself on one arm. "No, no. It's not bad. It just means you haven't met someone yet who makes you feel special."

I nodded, but blushed anyway. "I just," I murmured, "I worry someone won't see me as an adult when the time comes."

"You mean someone like Naruto," Sakura purred, prodding my side.

I gasped, and stood up to dive into my bed's blankets. "Don't say it like that!"

"Why," Sakura said, tiptoeing over to my hiding place. "You're worried Naruto and his beautiful eyes and taut muscles will be too much for you to handle?"

I screamed into my mattress. "Sakura! You're vile!"

"You know," she whispered, kneeling next to my ear. "I bet he's got something huge hidden behind those slacks."

I shot up and held her face in my hands, squishing her cheeks until she looked like a melted fish. "Not. Another. Word."

Sakura raised her hands in defeat, smirking as she pulled away from me. She tossed me my pillow from the floor before climbing into her bed. I caught it and shoved it beneath my shoulders before violently tugging my sheets over me. She giggled, and turned off the lamp, shrouding us in darkness.
There was only a minute of silence.

"If you're going to seduce Naruto, start with oral. Men simply love it when you drop to your knees and-"

"SAKURA!"