Chapter 1: Bryson

Bryson studied the tracks the deer had left, two half moon prints side by side in the damp earth, certain he was getting closer. His brother Zach wasn’t far behind, and thankfully, had the sense to keep quiet. They were both tired and starving, but tonight, they would eat. And that made all the difference in times like this.

Reaching around his back, he pulled out his compound bow, nocking an arrow, poised to kill. He remembered the first time he’d used the weapon, many years ago. He had to hand it to himself, he’d come to be quite efficient with it. And although his brother was a good shot, he felt the weight of their survival resting on his shoulders.

It was just the two of them now; everyone else was gone after the outbreak. It was hard for him to believe it had only been a short month since things had been normal. Now, it seemed more like a lifetime ago. A month ago, he’d been nothing more than a soldier returning home from active duty, seeking a peaceful job that he could be happy at for the remainder of his life. His last job had been quite the opposite. Nothing had prepared him for this, though.

He remembered the reports on the news- a deadly virus sweeping through China, killing thousands. All anyone seemed to know was that the virus somehow targeted the human brain, turning them feral. The sick people, or the infected, as some called them, began changing, attacking others, feasting on their flesh. The thought disgusted him, but it was a grim reality now. The United States had quickly shut its borders, but it was too late. One by one, nations fell, including the place he called home, the place he'd spent the last four years protecting. He recalled when the first outbreak was reported in New York City; the following weeks had wreaked chaos, filled with riots, looting, murder, and sickness. But Mostly, people were afraid. The infected quickly outnumbered the rest of the population. He’d never seen anything like it.

Bryson took a deep breath, lining up his shot. He watched the deer as it stopped to graze, not knowing that its life was nearing its end. He went to shoot and then- A scream tore across the forest, echoing across the expanse of the trees, reverberating between the lush green branches. The sudden sound caused him to jump, releasing his hold on the bow. His arrow flew somewhere in the distance and he cursed. Damn, he’d never get that back. The sound had startled not only him, but also the deer, which bounded off in a frenzy, leaving him with nothing to eat for the night.

Zach ran toward him, his eyes alert.

“Please tell me you heard that.” His brown eyes swept the forest, searching for the source of the scream. Obviously a woman, and she sounded like she was in trouble.

“Anyone within a five mile radius heard that!” He hissed, pulling his brother aside.

“We should help her.” Bryson was skeptical about helping anyone these days; sometimes the living were worse than the dead. But when he looked into his little brothers eyes, he saw an innocence there, one he knew you couldn’t find in his own. He also saw determination. There was no way he’d win this argument.

“Fine, but we better hurry.”

The two men raced through the forest, barely making a sound as they jumped over fallen trees and brush. Years of hunting with their father had made them stealthier than most as they blended in with the shadows. The screams echoed louder and Bryson wished they would stop. Whoever this was, she was only going to attract more Roamers. He sighed in frustration.

They broke through the trees, coming across an abandoned highway.

“Over there!” Zach called out to him, taking off toward the sound. Bryson cursed. If his brother wasn’t careful, he’d get himself killed. What was he thinking running straight into a crowd of Roamers?