[ t h i r t y - f o u r ]

Lee Minhyuk

the next couple of days since soo yi revealed that shownu was asking her out were harder on jooheon and i.

though i still kept my feelings hidden, i suffered just the same as my friend. for instance, shownu and soo yi would sing duets together as they led and guided our graduation practices every meeting. though it was natural for soo yi to be involved in such since she was a singer and a choir member, i still felt jealous knowing that it was shownu who led her to come and sing in front with him.

apart from that, shownu would approach soo yi more often and invite her to eat meals with him instead of us. soo yi obviously couldn't say no, while yujin cheers her on to go with him while being unaware of how jooheon and i actually feel about it.

"shownu and soo yi really get along don't you think?" jooheon suddenly asked as we were standing outside the high school building, waiting for soo yi and yujin to come out.

"what makes you say so?" i asked.

"it's the look on her face.. i keep watching her from afar. she seems to smile at him and laugh at his jokes. what if she's really happy with him?" he explained.

"it's all fake. i know how she looks like when she's really enjoying someone's company. her eyes should also curve up in a smile." i brought my head down.

"really? now what makes you say so?" jooheon suddenly asked.

i almost froze realizing it was a trap question and now that statement of mine made me seem weird.

"i guess you really know the look on soo yi's face when she's genuinely happy. ever seen it, huh?" jooheon added.

i brought my head up and turned to look at jooheon mustering up a straight face.

"it's basic psychology.. besides, she's our friend and we hang out with her a lot. how am i not supposed to know?" i answered.

"true. so i'm not the only one observant of soo yi after all."

"it's not that, jooheon-ah. it already comes subconsciously." i tried to stop him from his own thoughts.

again, i was fooling my friend. i was still playing him though i didn't want to. when will this all end?

"hey, friends!" yujin's voice suddenly came through, greeting us.

i looked at her and noticed that she was all alone.

"where's soo yi?" jooheon asked in disappointment.

"oh, i left her back inside. i figured out shownu would want to take her home again. you know? riding his bicycle while soo yi holds on to him romantically-"

"you didn't even ask her what she thinks!" jooheon cut her off.

"yah! what are you even being hopeful for?! let's just go!" yujin suddenly grabbed us by the arm and dragged us both to start walking with her.

suddenly, i caught sight of soo yi from afar running to catch up with us. because of that, my face immediately brightened up as i was delighted to see her with no traces of shownu coming from behind.

"guys! wait for me!" she called out to us.

"y-yah! soo yi's here, she's coming!" i tapped onto yujin and pointed for her to see.

Jung Soo Yi

i finished cleaning up our classroom by arranging the tables and chairs as my task for the day, so i was finally able to come out for dismissal.