The Superior detective and his dog (1)

"~Hello hello, my delicious detective!"

Keiji averted his eyes from his paper work to the glass door of his office.

"...what is it Midori?"

Midori was... one of the odder detectives that Keiji's had the pleasure of working with. His appearance was odd even; he had bright green hair in a neat pony tail with brilliant blue eyes that stared into your soul. Here at the police station, most officers and workers are required to wear formal wear, but Midori does nothing of that sort, instead wearing a candy red scarf, shirt and tracksuit pants and goddamn pink fluffy slippers. His name wasn't even really Midori, he just made everyone call him that, so that's what Keiji did.

Keiji had worked directly with the madman before, and that was one hell of an experience in itself. Their case was to track down a serial killer, and throughout the whole case Midori wouldn't stop bothering the blonde. He was annoying, and damn right creepy at times.

But damn was his intuition sharp.

That's probably why he's such a high rank.

Midori opened the door, letting himself in Keiji's office without another thought. Keiji let out an awkward cough at that, and went back to reading an important file.

"Keiji...." He whined defiantly, and at that moment, Keiji just knew that Midori wasn't going to leave him alone.

".....what's the problem?" He sighed again.

"Who said there was a problem?" Midori raised an eyebrow, disappointed. "Can't you treat me like the friend I am? What I just want to talk to you, Keiji? Is that so unthinkable??"

"....yes...." He smirked and redirected his attention back to his paper work. He needed to finish it anyway.

"Hey! Don't ignore me! I could have you fired for disrespecting your superior, fired!" Midori snatched the papers from Keiji's hand like a child desperate for attention. Maybe that's what he was anyway.

Keiji crossed his arms and spun his chair to face Midori. Better get whatever he wanted over and done with.

"Ahem... thank you" He cleared his throat. "Miss Megumi gave yours truly another case! And guess what else she said...?"

Keiji raised an eyebrow, realising that the man probably wanted him to take a guess. 

"Ok sure... um..." He sent Midori a grin, "She said 'you're fired'?"

Midori gasped in mock surprise, hand in front of his chest and an offended expression on his face. "How dare you Keiji!"

"Wahaha"

"No, in fact that's not what she said" He continued. "She said... I get to choose any partner I want for this case!"

Keiji saw where this was leading too, and wasn't pleased in the slightest. Sure, he's worked with Midori before, but it was never one on one. Sure, Midori would sometimes annoy him in particular, but there was always someone else for Keiji to talk to. But the way Midori phrased it so far, it seemed they would be working on it alone, so he'd be stuck with Midori for company. Fantastic.

Keiji mustered a smile and relaxed his jaw. "And you're talking to me because...?"

As if it wasn't immediately obvious.

"You're going to be my partner, Keiji!" Midori smiled too wide for comfort. "I already talked to Miss Megumi about it, and she told me that you're not currently working on anything at the moment so..."

"Actually, I still have a case I need to finish, so--"

"Ahaha, nice try" Midori winked at his excuse. "Miss Megumi said that she'd be happy to finish that case file for you if you help me. All you've got left is the paper work, even for your sore ass that should be easy"

"Aw crap. You got me" He laughed, but he couldn't help but feel nervous about working with Midori. He was downright scary sometimes, so...

Before Keiji could consider how to not  work with Midori, Midori grabbed Keiji's arm and pulled him out of his seat. He was so shocked at the motion that he almost fell over, Midori only giggling in amusement. 

"Welp! If you're my partner, that means we should get right to it!" The green haired man proclaimed, shifting his weight between his feet. "After all you definitely seem like the cut to the chase sort, so why wait? Come on, let's tell Miss Megumi right now!"

And like that, Midori skipped out of his office.

"...I thought you already confirmed with Megumi..." He said, half to himself as he picked up his coffee mug and followed the other detective.

All he could do now was pray that Megumi would disapprove. Hopefully she'd see how much this stressed him out.

____________________________________________________________

"I approve" Megumi said halfheartedly. Keiji doubted she was paying them her full attention.

"Really?!" Midori seemed more surprised than Keiji. "Thank you so much Miss Megumi! I swear you won't regret it! I'll take care of little Keiji!"

"Pff" She laughed at that. "If neither of you have any problem with that, I'm glad to approve it officially. No need to say those things, Midori"

"Thank you!!" Midori's fake smile would've fooled even Keiji if he didn't know better. "We have no objections!"

"Really?" Megumi asked, now looking Keiji in the eyes. If she couldn't tell that he was miserable by this situation, she'd have to be completely blind.

Keiji was just about to reply when Midori interrupted, stepping in front of Keiji to break the eye contact between him and Megumi. "Mhm!"

She laughed again at that, and to Keiji's absolute horror, the conversation seemed to be over. Now that they confirmed with Megumi, there was a pretty slim chance that he'd be able to get out of this one and not be Midori's partner.

They exited his boss' office and went to sit down at the cafeteria, probably to discuss the case. Midori took the lead, choosing to sit at the furthermost table at the very back. It wasn't like Keiji had the liberty to pick another spot to sit, so he just pulled out a seat and let Midori talk.

Well, cafeteria was a very generous word. It was quite the small room anyway.

"So Midori--"

"Sou" He corrected. "Since I'm your partner now, we might as well be on a first name basis"

"Um..." Keiji looked into Sou's deluded eyes, and he wished that this case wouldn't take too long. "Ok, Sou. What's this case about anyway?"

"Ohhh, I didn't tell you, did I" He pouted. "We're going undercover, Keiji! Some good old first hand investigation!"

Keiji considered this. "Where?"

"You know that old, run- down college down the road?" Sou tapped the table. "Yeah. That's where we're headed!"

"Man you are... cheery about this" Keiji muttered, resting his head on the hard table.

"Yeah, I am. I guess I'm just excited to see one of my old friends from there. Maybe I'll introduce the two of you" He examined and chipped away at his black fingernails as he spoke. "I just haven't seen him in so long...."

Keiji snorted. Honestly, he wasn't too excited to meet a friend of Sou's. Who would willingly associate themselves with his type?

They'd have to be mad.

Crazy.

He wasn't incredibly keen.