Chapter 9: Disable

Boom!

The loud sound blasts through from Phun’s home theater system. It makes me feel like I’m being mocked for losing with the words ‘Game Over’ flashing the screen. I throw the controller out of frustration for losing exactly a dozen times.

Stupid Xbox. You’re not that fun to play with. The game AI totally cheated. I think (blame others) while I lay down on the carpet, out of ideas on what to do next.

Who can be nice at every hour? I’m a person, not a character in a drama on TV.

Who the heck is calling me? I glance over to see my phone ringing and vibrating by the school bag that I left on the sofa. A part of me is lazy and doesn’t feel like answering, but the other part of me is afraid that this would disturb the owner of this bedroom and he might wake up.

So I hop over quickly and grab my phone.

“Sup, asshole?” It’s Om.

“How come you’re not here today?! I got disciplined by the Brother so now I gotta take out the trash in their offices in the evening.” Om’s alarming voice comes through, I can’t help but laugh at his predicament. “And how the hell did you get yourself in trouble?”

“I was chatting with Mong, MSN paper style.”

“How’d you get caught passing notes?”

“It was taking too long passing the notes around so I threw it at him. The Brother turned around and saw me.” Dumbass. Serves him right.

“You think that I was being a dumbass, weren’t you? Asshole.” What the fuck? Why’d did he have to insult me?

“So where are you? If you’re not here then who’s gonna help me take out all the trash?” So basically, he’s not worried about me or anything. He just wants someone to help him. What a wonderful friend.

“Just running a little errand.”

“What errand? Or are you still with Yuri since yesterday?” He always think of the dirtiest things. If he were here, I’d smack him in the head.

“Asshole.” This is the politest word to use for someone like him.

But before I could hear Om’s reply, there are faint noises coming from Phun. “Cold…cold…cold…”

“Who are you with?” Holy shit, not only he barks like a dog but he has good hearing like one too. I have no time to explain now. “Hey, I gotta go.”

“Cold…cold…” Phun’s voice gets progressively shakier.

“Who’s there with you?”

“I’ll see you Monday.” I cut him off and hang up. I hop over to the A/C remote control and turn it all the way up to 30 degrees Celsius. It’s gonna be damn hot.

I stare at the numbers that had just been changed and I can already feel that I’m getting warmer. I take off my shirt and throw it over the sofa before I walk over to check on the patient who is curling up on the bed.

It seems that he really is freezing. He’s gathering all the comforter he can get around him. His lips and his entire body are shivering agonizingly

Even if I were failing my health class, I can recognize that he has a fever just like he told me earlier. I start to panic since I’ve never had to take care of anyone like this before. The first thing I decide to do is putting my hand on his forehead to check his temperature. He’s as hot as an iron!

Are you sure you don’t need to see a doctor?!

I’m panicking even more now. I order my legs to pace back and forth for a long while before I finally come up with an idea that I should probably go and get someone to check on him. Just as I am about to run out the door, my entire body gets pulled over.