II. Pinky

A low buzz hums beneath the bass that is accentuated in the one muff of my headphones still covering my ear. My hand slides across the edge of the table of my station as I reach for my red solo cup that is only half full of whatever jungle juice they've mixed up next to the punch bowl. "I ain't all about playing silly games. My telephone book has good and plenty names. I really don't know you. I really wanna' meet you. I'd really like to show you that we can spend the night tonight." Eyes darting up from my cup, I catch a glimpse of some big booty honey throwing everything back on a stiff white dude. It's a shame that he doesn't know what to do with it, especially with Guy being on.

I lean down to microphone, eyeing a separate femme fatal that I already know is lethal on any floor. "Look at that girl go! Somebody say it with me. Go, Letty! Go, Letty! Go!" The party chants with me as Paulette shows out before their very eyes.

Slowly emerging from the sea of people, a body makes its way from the back end of the crowd to the front near my best friend. Stone washed jeans with patches on the pockets fit her ass well, making its roundness like the perfect peach. That ass sits well on top of two thick, smooth, brown thighs. Mixed-matched neon socks stop at the center of her strong calves. One sock is green. One sock is orange. Her boots are black. She's rocking from side to side and slowly making her way closer to the center of the circle that Paulette dances in. Her hands rest on her hips. I can see she got her nails done and her four finger ring shines just as bright as her nail polish.

I extend my neck, trying to see her face, and bump the table. Jumping back, I prepare the next record I'll be putting on before I direct my attention back to floor.

The scrunched hemming of her hot pink jacket stops just above her belt but exposes her flat stomach when she raises her arms. A sway in her ponytail and arms is the intro to her dancing. "We can spend the night, tonight. We can spend the night tonight.We can spend the night, tonight. We can spend the night tonight." The more her ponytail swings, the closer she gets to the center of the floor. A large blonde streak is seen in her swaying ponytail. Besides that streak and her bamboo earrings, I can't see anything else beyond that point as she dances hard enough to make Paulette step back with an annoyed expression. She isn't doing better than Paulette but she is getting down! The stink squint Paulette is giving her sparks my DJ's hand. I pull back, swapping records to find the right song that'll make Paulette show out.

The more she shows out, the more I can see how much honeydip can keep up.

If you want Paulette to act up, all you got to do us throw on Janet. She'll think she's in any and every video. The merging between Guy and MJ's little sister sends chills up my spine. I watch Paulette tie up her shirt in the back. She's about to get busy. Quickly, my mind changes... I don't want to embarrass sista in the pink jacket. Janet becomes an interlude as I cover it up with some scratching and the proper fading. I throw everybody for a loop when I drop my needle on an album cut from New Edition's last release. If they're smart, this will be the next single.

"Aye, you see that girl?" Without even looking at Cedric, I just nod as I wait for her to finally turn around. "Look at that ass! She ain't from out of state. That's southern bred."

I laugh, "I know, man. I'm trying to see what she look like in the face but she just moving too much." I lean down into the microphone to put some fuel on the fire. "Ayo, it looks like we got a battle in the middle of the floor. Letty versus Honey in the Pink Jacket. Get down, ladies!" Quickly glancing at K, I say, "I'm surprised you haven't talk to her yet. Don't tell me you letting Lisa hold you back!"

"Nah, man! Nah! I talked to her. That's Dalvin's homegirl. I don't know if he's courting to fuck so I'm gone play it cool tonight."

"He probably is," I chuckle. My brother is always chasing a skirt. It ain't for me but I told him that as long he's careful and nobody gets hurt, it's all fun. "Look at them. They goin' in!" I point to the girls battling one another. "You know they got bad blood. You can see it in the way they move." When Cedric doesn't reply, I turn back to where he was standing to see him gone. "Punk," I mumble.