XXXII. Dream On

"Y'all better pose!"

Don and his Prom date have a hard time keeping a sincere face as all of their family members snap photos at a rapid rate. Their height difference is six inches as the two stand side by side in the front lawn of Paulette's home. Her hair is fluffed and teased, tossed, and slightly crimped enough to emulate the onyx locks of her idol, Janet Jackson. Soft brown eye shadow with a black outline of eyeliner allows her elongated eyelashes to be the star of her optical show. She's got a soft glow of blush that is balanced by her popping eye-catching red lipstick. The cherry shade of lipstick is one shade off of her ruby colored gown. The red fabric gracing her body was freshly picked by herself and Don after they spent hours upon hours roaming the fabric store for what they agreed would be the best color for the both of them.

The bell of the fabric shop's door rang but it failed to steal the attention of the two friends as they glided their fingers across fabrics in search of what would be the perfect hue that compliments the both of their skin tones. Don had far less interest in the explicit details of fabric, he was only in attendace for two reasons. He understands that Paulette wanted him here after Tasha could not make it and he, also, would like to make sure that Paulette is not wearing anything that he'd deem to be ugly.

"So, Cyn finally admitted that she's in love with you?" Paulette held up a soft teal colored sheer fabric. "What do you think about this? I think this on top of a white or silver would be really cute."

Don's head shook. "Nah, I don't like that one." She groaned, leading the way to the next aisle over as Don followed with the two swatches of colors they'd decided to set aside as a possibility. "I don't even know where that came from. Why was she mad? Did I really lead her on and make her think I was... y'know?" Don motioned to a purple velvet fabric. "That one's nice."

"Purple Rain," Paulette hummed. The two giggled as she pulled a fabric swatch from the pile. "And as for Cyn, that's something that was inevitable. She's been in love with you for as long as I can remember. Half of the time she knew it, half  of the time she didn't. It is what it is, D." She passed him the swatch and kept walking.

Don asked, "Do you think that has anything to do with Marley?"

Stopping in her tracks, there's a skeet created from the friction between the sole of her shoes and the hard tiles of the fabric shop. Her ponytail swung as she turned around to face her friend. Don's eyebrows creased in a moment of anticipation. "Don," she started. Paulette raised her right hand to cup his left cheek. "You're something else... That's good but it's bad too." Don's brows released pressure as the confusion remains evident in his softened eyes while he gazed back at Paulette. "It's cute though." Her thumb softly stroked his cheek before she dropped her hand with little effort, allowing it to fall against her thigh. Her eyes brightened in an instant as she stared directly through him. "D, this is it!" She jogged down the long aisle of fabrics to the far end. She pulled on a roll of charmeuse fabric that is the same shade of red as the ruby red earrings her great grandmother passed down to her two years prior to her demise when Paulette was only fifteen-years-old. "

"That's fresh..."

Paulette lifted it in the air and pressed it against her skin as she and Don both stared at the contrast in amazement. His amazement stemmed from her's.

She held onto it as she turned to Don. "C'mere, let me see something." Don took two steps closer to her. Paulette placed it against his skin and gasped at what is pleasant but not a surprise. Her pupils dilated at the idea of them finding the perfect shade that complimented the both of them leftt her ready to squeal. "This is it, D. You look so good in red and I do too, especially this one!" Paulette grabbed the swatch and placed it next to a ruby and silver brocade swatch they already had in their possession as her mind wondered. "And to answer your question... Yes, it has a lot to do with why Marlene left."