IX. Green-Eyed Truths

"One, two– C'mon, birthday girl, don't get lazy– three, and four!"

August 29, the date of birth placed on billions of Virgos all around the world. Some much more important people were born on this day, but as for a majority of Hidden Valley, Cynthia Evans is the most important person on this day. For the first time in Cynthia's life, the principle of responsibility is overruling her judgement. There won't be any major partying going on. She's been in practice since school ended at three o'clock and first thing tomorrow morning, she and Don have to head down to work at Bobby's Burgers. There will be no super big celebration for Cynthia's life. She'll be going out to dinner with her loved ones and that is all for her Friday night.

Coach Lucy's counting speed picks up, causing for pressures to rise within the girls. "Pick up the pace, ladies!"

Meanwhile, down the street and around the corner is where Don resides. The Evans family is there, among many other people. Hidden Valley is a very small neighborhood. Everybody knows each other in a place like this. Thus, leading to how they got the whole local pizzeria to themselves. Mr. Arnold has loved Cynthia since she was a little girl, he has no issue donating her the building for the night. Don stands with his arms extended to their maximum as he helps Ananda put up the beautiful banner bought for the celebration of Cynthia.

He knows that Marlene will be at this extra special dinner and all he can do is think of ways to start a conversation with her. Contrary to anything that Cynthia has told him, Don isn't feeling too hot on the idea of how far down the spectrum Marlene is into him. He talks to her every single time he sees her, also known as everyday. She doesn't look interested. In fact, she looks the complete opposite. She walks away, she looks in opposing directions, she hardly answers his questions and she doesn't answer, she ignores him all together. This is all according to Don, of course.

"Hey, Don, can you help me stack these presents?" Don's eyes light up with remembrance. "What?"

With his palm swallowing his entire face, Don let out a soft sigh. "I left her present in my swim locker. I gotta go get it." He knew the school was still open because the girls are still in practice. Don is on great terms with each and every custodian staff, meaning even if it weren't open, one of them would let him in.

"Cyn get's out of practice in twenty minutes," Javon reminds him.

"I'll just take the back streets."

Javon places his hand on the shoulder Don. "Nah, man," he says. "I'm sayin', you can pick her up. I didn't want to do it anyway!" Don shakes his head and simply accepts his fate. He has no real problem picking up Cynthia. However, he understands that it's a different kind of chord since she and Javon share the same blood.

Don runs out to his car. In the exact same moments, Cynthia's removing the shower cap from her hair as she laughs with Marlene snd Tasha in regards to how much life sucks now that she has a job. She wanted to have a big party, she really did. Cynthia's completely oblivious to the decorations and extras that her family has added to her small dinner. They know that she wanted a party and took upon themselves to surprise her. The job of picking up Cynthia was originally Javon's do to the fact that he has to stall her long enough for her cheer friends to make it to the destination and get into their own hiding places. Javon's plan was to simply start an argument. If was just that easy. Now, Don's got to think of something.

Being the good guy that he is, Don could never randomly start an argument with Cynthia. Even if he did, she'd never take him serious! He's scared to be in the car with her for too long. The last time they were by themselves, she's got a little too carried away on certain erotic details and it made him uncomfortable, mostly because he was aroused. That is a complicated situation that he'd prefer to avoid.