Chapter 3

Unedited. Feel free to point out mistakes to me, thank you.

When I was drowning that's when I could finally breathe. -Taylor Swift, Clean

His screams ring in my ears but somehow I still don't fully acknowledge them, too entranced by the pleasurable sensation tingling across my skin and igniting my veins, driving my mind into a frenzy. My eyes burn desirably as I suck more and more of his delicious flesh. My fangs sink in even more and I bite even harder as my hands grip underneath his shoulder and the back of his neck, disappointed that the familiar scrumptious taste of blood no longer reaches my lips. I relish in the feeling of the blood sliding down my throat and slipping throughout my body, empowering my limbs.

I lick my lips clean and it's then that I notice the dead, literally dead silence that cloaks over me like a canopy.

His screams stopped minutes ago without me even noticing. I was too entranced by the divine tang the blood brought to my taste buds.

I let his limp body, which was drained of blood completely, slip through my fingers and succumb to the ground as I bite my lips. Shock overcomes me.

I haven't killed anyone in years. Not by draining their blood. I haven't taken pleasure into my playful murder days in so many years. I vowed to myself that I wouldn't kill any human ever again, even if they essentially are my ideal prey. I made sure to stop killing. I always watched myself, and taught myself to control it. To control my needs of draining their body of blood, and taking my emotions out on innocent humans, inflicting on them permanent pain. I didn't want to fall back into that pattern again.

I just killed someone.

The thought sinks in and processes quickly. I want to throw up. I want to cough out every ounce of his blood and revive his body. I want to be able to just heal him to life.

But I can't. He's already dead. His body is pale, limp, drained completely of blood, and ice cold. Lifeless.

My hand flutters up to cover my lips as I gasp in disbelief. Tears fall from my glossy eyes. The pleasant burn in my irises have completely diminished and are overtaken by continuous sizzling tears dripping down my cheeks, one after the other. My eyes begin to sear as blood shades over the blue orb, turning my eyes into a deathly shade of red.

I choke on the knot in my throat and blink away my searing irises, cooling them down to their different shades and specks of blue. I blink once more and compose myself. I lift the nameless man in my arm, speeding away and rushing past tall trees.

The wind whispered past me, speaking in swooshes and whooshes my name, blowing at my past as it spun in different directions.

I shake the guilty thoughts away, continuing to speed through the forest.

Am I really just going to bury his body in the middle of no where? Guilt eats at me when I think of how his family would feel, how any of his friends would feel, or to think that he's missing when in reality he's dead. And I killed him. I killed him, and not only have I ruined his chances at life, but I've broken the people's hearts that are close with him.

Where's the humanity I claim to possess?

But what else am I supposed to do with him? How would I dispose of his body? I look at the limp figure resting in my arms. His eyes are open wide and terror is painted over his lifeless expression.

I need to get away from him. The need to distance myself exceedingly overpowers the guilt. I can't look at him any longer. I don't want a lifeless body in my hands anymore. I just want to get away from him, and move on, like this didn't happen. Am I really just going to dispose of his body next to a random tree, against a branch where animals would feed off of him, just like I did barely just a few minutes ago? What am I supposed to to with him? I hold his body further away from me in distaste. I don't want him in my arms.