Prologue

A picture of Elle (Adriana Lima) to the side:)

Unedited.

--

My toes curled into the ground, gathering dirt underneath the nails while my back arched off the tree. My body wiggled and thrashed, and I cry out as I try to break free of the ropes restraining me against this big, old, oak tree. Every inch of my body was on fire, igniting with need.

The need to kill.

More specifically, the need to kill him.

I love him.

But as the moon starts to pass through Earth's shadow and continues to align with the sun and Earth, I cannot control the burning desire to kill him. I glare up at the sky, tears streaming down my face.

I start to scream and panic as the rope snaps away, string by string, much like my non-existent heart, breaking piece by piece. It feels as if gasoline is pumping through my veins, the fire in my body only igniting further.

My skin crawls torturously; it feels like every inch of my body is being ripped open and thrown into a pool of salt, burning open flesh, and sewn back together, repeatedly. My mind is clouded with the need to kill him. I don't want to, but as much as I try to fight it, the need only grows stronger. It feels like he's so close to me. I feel like I can sense him, and I assume that's how strong the urge to kill him really is.

Angry, panicked tears continue to stream down my cheeks, and my breath is heavy, though I don't even need to breathe.

Every possible painful death a human has endured feels as if it is being relived inside of me. I want to collapse onto the ground, but the worthless rope barely restrains me back.

As if the pain weren't impossible enough, I hear the smallest of leaves crunch, and my eyes darken when I see him standing in front of me.

"Elle, what the hell is going on?" Zayn screams. He twists and turns, collapsing on his knees, pulling at his hair.

"Why are you here?" I scream at him. I thought that he wouldn't be able to find me. But now that he's here, there really is no chance of the both of us surviving.

"You left me! Why did you leave?" He continues pulling at his hair, shrieking loudly.

"I had to, Zayn. I love you. The prophecy..." I trail off as I see in his eyes he put the puzzle pieces together, just as I did, not even a couple of hours ago.

"Elle," tears poor down his face, "I love you. Why..." He stops mid sentence, and continues to sob aloud, breaking my heart while doing so.

"I love you, Zayn. Run. Run. Please," I beg him. He only replies with a torturous cry, digging his finger nails into the soil, scratching down and across the ground.

"Zayn?" I cry weakly, though my body feels stronger than ever. I can hear each beat of his pumping heart, and images of me ripping it out of his chest flash across my mind.

"Elle, fight me. Don't let me kill you. Don't. Kill me first." Zayn gasps for air, looking as if he's drowning in a pool of water.

Seeing him like this is the most painful thing I have, and will ever, endure. Strangled cries escape my lips.

"I can't," I whine, though I am perfectly and unwillingly capable in doing so.

Suddenly, he stops gasping and choking. Zayn completely falls to the cold, hard ground, his facial expression twisted painfully with tears smeared across his cheeks and saliva leaking from his mouth. He pulls at his hair, and I see, from yards away, the chunks of raven black hair gathered in the palm of his hand. He cries vigorously and a knife is twisted in my heart, the pain hurting me impossibly more.