"School work? I can help you with that."

"No I mean-"

She stopped when she saw the look on my face. Basically my 'shut your mouth and play along' look.

"Right, school work."

"Alright, well let's go to my room."

When we walked past the kitchen my father looked out at us.

"And who's this?"

"It's Alex, Jared's sister. We're just going to go over some homework."

We went up to my room; I shut and locked the door behind me before turning to face Alex again.

"Does he not know about-"

"He knows about werewolves and all those creatures. What he doesn't know is that Jared is one of them, and we need to keep it that way," I half whispered.

"Why?"

"You know how you were afraid I would kill your brother?"

She nodded.

"I wouldn't, but my dad and others like him, they wouldn't think twice about it."

Alex's eyes went wide. She was still new to people knowing she knew. She didn't know what she could say, what she shouldn't, and where to be careful. She'd lived the past two years in silence, not even letting her brother know that she was in on his secret.

"You know, I'd thought about being in your room before, but it was under slightly different circumstances," she said in a teasing tone.

I laughed. It was good that she was still able to joke.

"Well sorry to break it to you, but I'm sort of spoken for with a line out the door." I sighed at that

"Oh really?"

"Between a childhood friend, an ex boyfriend, a hot hunter, and a really attractive werewolf mate, I don't know if I can take anyone else on," I said trying to keep the topic light.

"Right, you said you were my brothers mate. What does that mean exactly? I have so many things I want to know but I can't ask him."

"Well you're asking the wrong person, I really don't know much about it. It's all new to me as well. What I know is what Jared has told me. We're somehow connected to each other. It's like a connection of our souls I guess. Soul mates. It sounds completely ridiculous to say out loud to somebody else. It just sounds ridiculous period I suppose." I sat down in my desk chair shaking my head.

"No, go on. I want to know about it."

"Well the connection that we have...it pulls us together I guess. Every time he touches me it feels like my skin is on fire, but it's a good feeling. Like I could just spontaneously combust, but I'd be perfectly fine with it. Apparently what Jared feels is stronger. I'm really not sure how that works. It has to be something on a cellular level with the werewolf gene."

"So do soul mates exist for us then? Humans I mean."

"I honestly have no idea, I would assume so. I'm a human and apparently I have a mate. He started out human as well, given that, I would say that it should be, but it probably wouldn't be as stong of a feeling with two humans. I'm really not sure what's possible and what's not anymore. " It was probably the truest thing I'd said in a while. I literally had no idea what was real and what wasn't.

Alex seemed a little unsatisfied with that answer. Maybe she'd been wanting me to tell her that she would find that person at some point, that she would feel that amazing connection that I felt when I was with Jared, but I just didn't know.