Chapter 38

Alex had been lecturing me non-stop the whole week because I'd been keeping a distance from Jared. Apparently he hadn't been doing so well since that night. I didn't know what to tell her, because I still had to sort through everything.

I knew avoiding him wasn't the answer, but it was the only thing I knew how to do. And I had promised him that we were really going to do this thing. I just hadn't really known what doing this thing entailed I guess, and now that I was suddenly faced with it, I was scared.

I was a hunter and I was supposed to hate everything that made up Jared. Even though I didn't hate him, I still couldn't be around him when his wolf was near the surface. I had this whole part of me that had become ingrained within the past four years, and that part pushed away as hard as it could.

I glared at the counter top in my kitchen as my frustration boiled over. My dad looked at me oddly.

I looked back up at him, his tense posture setting me even more on edge.

"You haven't been on a hunt in a while," he said.

I tensed more. "No, I haven't."

"Since before you went off to headquarters; since the hunt with me."

"Correct." My voice was cautious. I didn't know where he was going with this, but it was starting to worry me.

"Are you feeling alright?"

"I'm fine."

"I'll find us somewhere to go," he said as if he thought that's what my problem was. I just nod slightly, afraid to say anything else as he walked out of the room.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket and I took it out. It was a text from Alex demanding me to go over and talk to Jared.

I sighed and put the phone down on the counter rather harshly. Having a friend that also happened to be the sister to my boyfriend was really frustrating at times. I was never really free, even when I wanted to step back for a moment.

It's been more than a moment. It's been four, nearly five, days. I said to myself.

"I'm going to see Alex," I shouted through the house so my dad would know where I went and why I took the Jeep. I'd been refraining from mentioning Jared as much as I could. I didn't want to draw any unnecessary attention his way.

You should have thought of that before you started sucking face in the school. I rolled my eyes at myself and made my way out to the Jeep.

The entire drive to their house, I tried to figure out what I was going to say to him. What was there to really say? I was no further to a decision when I pulled up, so I decided I was just going to wing it.

I went up to the front door and rang the doorbell, waiting for one of them to let me in. When the door opened I stood back shocked, thinking I had the wrong place.

There was an elegantly dressed older yet attractive woman standing before me. She had pale blond hair swept up into a tight updo without a single stray strand, glittering earrings that dangled from her ears, and piercing blue eyes.

She looked impartial to the stranger who had stumbled onto her porch, and she offered no smile. "I'm here to see-"

"Electra?" I heard Jared's voice from inside. I could just barely see him over the woman's shoulder.

I smiled shyly not sure what to say.

"Mom, this is Electra. She's a...friend of mine...and Alexandra."

"I see. Welcome, Electra." The woman managed a tight smile and stepped aside, gesturing for me to go in.

"Thank you ma'am." I stepped through the threshold and found myself just a foot from Jared.