6

They were told of the situation  by Commander Stinger; they needed to provide air support for a stricken ship that had drifted into hostile waters.

Iceman & Slider were to go into the air with Hollywood & Wolfman as their wingmen. Maverick was to fly with Merlin as he new R.I.O and only to go into the air if something went wrong.

"Sir, with regards to Maverick, do you really think he's the best-" 

"My word is final, Kazansky." Stinger cut him off. 

"Yes sir." Iceman simply nodded. His panic about Maverick only grew as he and Slider got up into the air.

His panic blew through the roof when Hollywood and Wolfman got shot down. Which meant only one thing;

Maverick would be sent up into the air. 

Iceman tried his best to stay calm, but it was hard when he and Slider were surrounded by MiGs, being aimed and shot at.

Maverick disengaged for a minute, making Iceman almost start hyperventilating in panic. But when Maverick reengaged, Iceman let out a barely audible sigh of relief.

As they worked together to take down the enemy, Iceman still worried about Maverick the entire time.

When they finally got back onto the carrier, safely of course, Iceman felt relieved. Maverick was okay, not a scratch on him.

They were being crowded when they got out of their jets. Iceman still had his jealousy boiling in his blood, even though he loved Maverick, it wouldn't change that Maverick broke his heart.

"You!" Iceman got Maverick's attention. He pulled off his aviators and looked up at Iceman.

"You are still dangerous." 

Maverick gave him a bit of a confused look.

Iceman smiled, "But you can be my wingman anytime."

Maverick smiled in return, "Bullshit, you can be mine."

They both smiled a bit brighter, gazing into each other's eyes for a few seconds more. Then they leaned in for a hug. It sent the same tingly feeling through Iceman, the same one he always gets when Maverick even lays a fingertip on him.

"Meet me on the deck near the railing. 20:00 hours." Maverick whispered in Iceman's ear, sending more tingles and warmth through him. There was something about the way Maverick talked that always sent chills down Iceman's spine.

They pulled back from the hug, smiling still and Iceman lightly nodded. He was very curious why Maverick wanted to be with him alone.