02. the winds begin to blow

Dear Nellie,

I hope this letter finds you well.

My new position has been quite the experience, that much is true, though I must admit the work isn't so glamorous. My crew members don't particularly enjoy song and that does ire my soul a bit. You'd like my singing wouldn't you, Nellie?

It appears as though Avonlea continues to support you, I'm glad to hear that. I do wish you had a more permanent place though. A bit hypocritical, I know, given my own nomadism but you deserve security.

On a different note, I'm interested to hear more about these borders of Green Gables, a baker and a geologist? Sounds like a challenge to yourself and Anne. I myself never found either of those crafts particularly thrilling, I'm much happier being a coal trimmer in a thousand degree engine. Mind my sarcasm.

I wish I could show you the views I see daily. Sunset over water is quite likely one of the most beautiful things I've ever witnessed. A big reddish yellow flower in the sky (will that suffice as a descriptor?).

We'll be docking on some far away coast soon and I'll be sure to keep you updated on my experiences when I arrive.

All the best,

Gilbert

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

"Way haul away, we'll haul away Joe,"

Penny hummed lightly under her breath as she swept the wooden floors of the bakery. The same tune Anne had taught her the previous week. Penelope wasn't much of a singer, but she found the melody irrefutably catchy and it had been cycling through her mind all morning.

Suddenly the jingle of the front door echoed through the quiet shop and Penny felt her mouth slip into a smile as she recognized the mother-daughter duo walking into the bakery.

"Ruby! Mrs. Gillis! How are you?" Penny placed the broom to lean against the wall as she walked up to her friend.

"Penny! It's been forever! It's been getting so much more difficult to see everyone with school off for harvest," Ruby chittered gleefully and pulled her hat a bit higher so it wasn't covering her eyes.

"I didn't think you liked school?" Penny giggled at her shorter friend.

"Well, I don't. But I do quite like my friends," Ruby nodded seriously.

"Seems to me that you just enjoy talking, dear," Mrs. Gillis tapped the girl gently on the shoulder as she moved to the glass counter to look at the arrangement of breads and cookies and assorted pastries.

"Mother!" Ruby gasped, face turning a light pink.

"Luckily, Ruby, I've seen you earlier than expected and I can spread some good news. Anne's decided to resume story club meetings tomorrow at the usual time given that harvest ends today," Penny gave a reassuring smile and tapped her frowning friend on the forehead causing the girl to crack a bright grin.

"Wonderful! Mother, is that alright?" Ruby looked excitedly at her mother, quickly forgetting about the woman's previous tease.

"I suppose so," Mrs. Gillis chuckled before looking back to the bread case as she sent her sparkling gaze over to Penny, "Could you get me two loaves and six blueberry scones? We're having a special guest for dinner tonight,"

Penelope couldn't help the small laugh that escaped her mouth as she nodded and began pulling bread out of its case, "I'll be over soon as I'm off,"