18. new, faraway lands

"It makes Marilla feel better to have you along but I really don't need you to come," Anne told Jerry sternly as the two covered the goods in the back of the sleigh with a tarp, "I've traveled alone without incident,"

Penny stood a bit off the way, tying the horse to the sleigh. Looking on with confused eyes as she watched the interaction. Anne rarely held so much animosity and Jerry had seemed the picture of politely kind when she had spoken with him.

"You've got lucky," Jerry stated seriously and Penny blinked once, a sharp opposition to the shy Jerry she had met.

"I've been smart," Anne claimed.

"So then both. Whatever," Jerry shrugged.

"I'd simply like you to acknowledge the fact that I don't actually need your help," Anne argued, and Penny looked to her friend admirably as she knew Anne had an independent soul.

"When's the last time you drove a sleigh? Auction a horse?" Jerry raised an eyebrow, and Penny nodded slowly as the boy made accurate points, "Let's go,"

Turning to Penny who had kept her distance, he gestured for her to climb in and passed her the wool blanket they would be draping across their legs. Just as Anne went to join her, a familiar voice called out.

"Anne!" Diana was jogging through the snow with a bag in her hands, "Anne!"

"Diana!" Anne smiled giddily, ignoring Jerry's words, "W-what are you doing here?"

"I'm so glad I caught you," Diana smiled in response, "I brought you something to sell,"

Anne peered into the bag and sighed, "Oh... Oh, Diana, are you sure?"

"Of course I'm sure," Diana urged.

The two girls embraced as Marilla walked forward and Anne quickly took the bag from Diana and hid it among the other goods.

"Morning, Diana," Marilla gave a small nod.

"Good morning, Miss. Cuthbert," Diana responded kindly, "I just came to say good bye,"

Diana looked towards the carriage, Anne having climbed in beside Penny, and reached her hands out for the two girls.

Anne immediately grabbed on and gave a thankful squeeze. Penny hesitated as she looked from the hand to Diana's face. The two hadn't grown as close as Anne had with the brunette and she felt at odds with the contact. Her mind knew Diana was good, kind and supportive, but her body sensed that she was a stranger who may cause her harm. Fighting her gut instinct, Penny slowly reached forward and lightly grasped Diana's hand. The girl didn't squeeze like she had with Anne for which Penny was grateful and the two girls smiled lightly at each other. Diana released them both and took a step back as Marilla spoke.

"Be sure to get to Miss. Barry's before nightfall. Be safe," Marilla slid Anne an envelope.

"We will," Anne smiled at her mother figure, "Be sure to tell Matthew not to worry. Everything will be all right. You'll see."

With those words, they were off. Jerry clicked his tongue and the horse began to move.

Penny cozied up against Anne's side and placed her hands under the blanket.

"It's not so bad to ask for help sometimes, you know," Jerry looked over Penny and to Anne.

"If I needed help, I would say so," Anne stated.

"No, you wouldn't," Jerry snorted.

"Yes, I would,"

"Wouldn't,"