03. an interesting discovery

Lunch couldn't have come quick enough and the moment Mr. Phillips dismissed them, Penny shot to her feet, moving rapidly to her lunchtime haven. The furthest corner of the room from where the other girls usually sat.

While Ruby was easy to accept her, and the others handled her presence in the mornings and at the occasional town event she went to, Penelope had never been invited to sit with their group at lunch. Ruby had been concerned at first and tried to convince her close friend that she would talk to the other girls but Penny felt no resentfulness towards them, in fact she quite enjoyed getting a break from the others even if only momentarily.

On a usual day, Penny would take a short walk during the break to find a new flower bush or simply to make her forget her hunger. Penelope rarely brought lunch, her father would have her head for unnecessarily wasting food for something as useless as eating as school. Meals were meant to be eaten at home, if she ate at all. The only time she ate at school was the recurring event that a certain classmate would mysteriously deliver an apple unto her desk.

Penny settled herself comfortably in the opposite corner of the school house. Billy Andrews and his rowdy crew were standing in front of the door, and Penny would much rather sit and read through her textbook than try and walk by them.

She watched as Anne joined the others at Diana's beckoning and hoped for the girl's sake that everything went well.

Unfortunately, it didn't seem like this was the case and minutes later the girls were rising and strutting away, leaving Anne with a stunned look on her face.

Diana seemed to attempt and reassure Anne before moving to appease the others.

Penny fidgeted from her corner, not saying a word and only looking sadly at the eclectic spirit she had met that morning. Then, as if beyond her conscious control, Penny moved from her spot and went to sit silently beside Anne. The blonde girl didn't say a word and simply began reading her book again.

"You're going to sit with me?" Anne asked as she looked over at Penelope, eye widening in confusion

"Why not?" Penny tilted her head, "I'm sorry for everything you've been through, Anne. Your life must have been mighty difficult, and I know it doesn't make anything better but I am truly sorry"

"Thank you, Penelope, really" Anne smiled as she continued biting into the apple in front of her. The two girls spend the rest of their lunch in silence.

   .❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

The school day ended with much less drama, Ruby was slightly upset that Penny had joined Anne but a compliment on her beauty and promise to ask her father about dinner let Ruby walk off with a smile across her face.

Penny stood patiently by the doorway as she waited for Anne, wanting nothing more than to listen to the interesting girl talk again.

Diana had joined them, offering to walk with Anne part of the way, and the three girls slowly made their way on the path home.

"Isn't it nice to think tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?" Anne sighed, "There must be a limit to the amount of mistakes people can make and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. It's a very comforting thought,"

"Don't worry, I'm sure the girls will come around to liking you real soon," Diana attempted to comfort her friend by placing a hand on her shoulder as they reached the end of the road, "Maybe talk a bit less and... no mice. See you tomorrow, Anne. Goodbye, Penny"

Anne sent the brunette a smile as Diana turned to walk towards her own home, only turning to give Anne a quick hug and sending a quick wave to Penelope.