Chapter 15

"So what are you going down here?" Alyssa asked as she cut into her steak.

She had decided to take Declan up on his offer to feed her after she ran into him coming out of the cell phone store, and her stomach had growled while they were talking. Most women would have been embarrassed by their body's rather loud demand of food, but Alyssa had just laughed at hers. Her ability to laugh to dispel awkward situations quickly endeared herself to Declan even more, and he'd automatically suggested they stop at the steakhouse that was in the same plaza as the store.

"Oh, you know, just wandering around trying to find someone new to stalk," he joked, causing her to giggle. His breath caught. She had the most beautiful laugh, and he was quickly becoming addicted to the sound of it.

"And here you get stuck with me! What a bummer!"

"Do that again," he told her without thinking.

"Do what?" Alyssa gave him a quizzical look.

"Laugh. You have the most amazing laugh. I love how it lights up your whole face, but especially your eyes," Declan told her, causing Alyssa to blush.

"Mr. McConnell, are you flirting with me?" Alyssa smirked.

"Of course, Ms. Derickson. Why wouldn't I flirt with a beautiful young woman such as yourself? Plus, I love how you're blushing right now," he teased.

"Oh hush, you!" Alyssa laughed. She knew what he was saying was true. She could feel her face and neck going up in flames the more and more he complimented and teased her.

Declan chuckled at her obvious discomfort, but said no more on it.

"So, what where you doing down here?" it was his turn to ask Alyssa.

"Oh, you mean besides getting stalked?" she bantered, "I had to get a new phone. I found mine smashed in the hallway when I got home."

"Do you think he's made it out of that room yet? Where did he take you, anyways? Connor and I tried to see if we could find any hints, but we came up blank."

"Who's Connor?"

"Oh, uh, he's my... businesses manager, kind of." Declan told her while silently cussing himself. He had not meant to mention his second-in-command.

"Oh! Is he that good-looking guy I saw with you in your office? I was wondering who he was. So what kind of business?" Alyssa asked intrigued.

"You could see my office? Huh, that's cool. All I saw was you when we were 'talking'."

"Yep. I could see everything. Just couldn't hear ya until you joined me. And you didn't want to see that place. It was literally a closet in Kevin's basement. That's sweet y'all looked for me," Alyssa told him. "As for Kevin, I don't see him calming down anytime soon, and he can't leave during the day, so no, unless he had someone helping him. But I didn't notice signs of anyone else but Kevin in that house."

Before Declan could comment, the chorus of Green Day's 21 Guns filled the air. Alyssa picked up her phone, and Declan couldn't help but chuckle. She'd only had her new phone for about an hour, and she'd already downloaded a new ring tone for it. Glancing at her screen, Alyssa saw a number she didn't recognize. She was about to ignore the call, but something with in her compelled her to answer.

"Excuse me, Declan." she said before she got up and left the table.

"Hello?" Alyssa asked as soon as she was out in the hallway.

"Ms. Derickson? This is Detective Roberts. I hate to inform you this, but when we arrived at Mr. Anderson's house, he had already escaped. We searched his house, but we couldn't find him. We did find the room he held you in along with a bottle of chloroform. We also have an A.P.B. out on him, so hopefully, we'll be able to catch him soon."