Chapter 12

All day long, Alyssa rested her body, and came up with a plan. When Kevin came in shortly after sunset, she was ready for him.

Sending a silent please to The Lady for protection, she took a deep breath and grounded herself. She could feel the energy flow up from beneath the floorboards, through them, and entering the soles of her feet. The air was charged with power just waiting to be tapped into.

Ever since she had dedicated herself to the Goddess during her initiation ceremony, Alyssa could feel all the different kinds of energies surrounding her ready, almost waiting, for her to use. And she had no doubt it would flow through her and do her bidding. She first noticed it as she released a primal scream declaring "I am a witch!!!" as the final, sealing act of her ceremony. As the words left her mouth, the wind had kicked up, and a bolt of lightning flashed across the sky. Everyone there agreed that The Goddess was in the clearing with them that night. They believed She had personally accepted Alyssa into her folds. Ever since then, Alyssa had been able to wield real Magick.

The only person who knew about it was Donna, her High Priestess and mentor. Alyssa was terrified if she revealed her Magick to others, they would try to manipulate her into going against the Rede, and in essence, against nature. She lived by the words, "And do ye no harm, do what ye will."

As soon as Kevin entered the room, he locked eyes with her and smirked. If he thought she would be intimidated by him anymore, vampire or not, he had another think coming to him. She was no longer the scared, weak girl she had been back then.

Stepping forward, he tried to pin her into a corner, but Alyssa just side stepped him. Grinning evilly at her, he tried to taunt her into submission.

"Come on, Alyssa. You might as well give up. We both know I'm bigger, stronger, and faster then you. All you'll end up doing, is pissing me off again."

"Only because you're a filthy leech!" She sat at him, knowing it would anger him. If he attacked her while he was angry, he was more likely to make a mistake that she could use against him.

Narrowing his eyes at her, he hissed, "Who told you that?"

"Tsk, tsk, tsk, Kevin. Like I would share my resources with your pathetic ass. What? Do you have to hypnotize your victims? Or do you pay them to come over? I mean, you can't get anyone off your personality. And don't get me started on your looks. You're a Neanderthal!"

The whole time she had been goading Kevin, she had also been paying close attention to his body language. She had seen his jaw clench, his shoulders tense up, his hands form fists, and his right foot slide backwards just a hair. She had known he was getting ready to strike.

As soon as she saw him shift his weight almost imperceptibly onto his back leg, she dropped into a defensive stance and barely avoided the punch aimed at her head. Rising out of the couch, she brought her right fist up and connected with his jaw in a text book uppercut, which she followed with a left hook to the side of his face. Then she kneed him in the balls, bringing him to his knees before slamming his nose into her own knee.

She had made it to the door before he could register she had just kicked his ass.

Groaning, he gingerly cupped his injured testicles and climbed to his feet, intent in busting the door down to get to her. But when he tried it, the door wouldn't budge. She had locked and sealed the room in magick. As long as he was angry, the door would not open, and the walls would not crumble.

Cautiously, Alyssa made her way up the stairs and out of the house. Just because it has been empty yesterday didn't mean reinforcements hadn't been called in today.