Chapter 8 - Soul Eater

Start from the beginning

I was stealthily standing almost five feet above the ground, in a tree. My familiar, Serpenta was keeping eye on our prey. I could feel her excitement and hunger. Hunger was brewing in me, gnawing at me. It was reminding me of my objective.

I saw Aria move closer towards the tree I stood in. The smell of her was overpowering. I salivated and caused rustling of leaves.

“What was that?” Aria looked up. Her voice was pained and clearly scared. The fear drove my senses mad.

I skillfully stood still, blending in the trees. The outsider raised his lamp.

“Nothing there.”

Aria slowly turned back and continued walking. My chance to strike. I motioned Serpenta to attack first.

I saw a flash as Serpenta’s lime green body coiled up. She tensed, tracking her prey. She shot right at the outsider. My lips parted to reveal sharp fangs, bestowed to me by Serpenta.

Aria screamed. I chuckled lightly, amused.

-          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One moment I was walking with Andre. One moment. One flash. Andre was down. The lamp was knocked off. The largest snake I have ever seen was staring right at me. Instinctively, I let out a blood-curdling scream. 

The sapphire blue eyes burned into my memory like acid. The snake let out a low hiss. I could even see its body vibrate as it hissed. Rooted to the ground, I stopped breathing. The snake was long, and large. Its eyes were exactly as how I remembered it to be.

Sapphire blue reptile eyes. Screaming PREY. Goosebumps flooded my skin and an electrifying chill drove up and down my spine.

The word prey shouted in my mind and I screamed again. Its body flexed and coiled up. The movement caused it to move straight at me. I could clearly see each and every one of its lime green scales. The tip of its tail was standing. It slithered at a rapid speed straight for me. Another hiss sent strong waves of shivers down my spine.

Its eyes…The irises constricted when it neared the light, forming the most menacing look I have ever seen. Its pink forked tongue slid in and out of its mouth smoothly. Its movements were sleek and smooth. There were no mistakes, no faults. It was graceful, yet deadly. It bared its fangs. They were dripping venom and I didn’t need extra encouragement. I screamed again.

My heart was thumping so hard against my chest I could feel it in my ears. I was sweating and my senses were wild. My eyes darted around frantically.

Finally turning to Andre, I realized he hadn’t moved since he was attacked by the snake.

“Andre!!!” I screamed, my voice very hoarse. I wanted him to get up, to fight. No. He was lying motionless. Andre’s muscular body was lying flat on the floor. There didn’t even seem to be movement from breathing. My hair was a wet and tangled mess.

“ANDRE!!!” I cried, desperate now. My throat was burning.

My breathing was ragged and pained. A powerful hiss resonated through my ears and my legs turned to jelly. I dropped to the ground and pushed back, away from the snake.

My jaw trembled and I was completely helpless. Ren. Where was Ren?!?! I suddenly remembered him.

“REN??!?” My voice was like a horse.

My eyes flew around, before settling on Ren’s white body. He was motionless. During the attack, the snake had knocked down Ren too. I could see the bite marks where fangs had dug deep into his body.