Chapter 11

Memories in flowers
_________________________________________

I remember when I was young, we had a big garden which Ojiisan looked after. Obasan loved flowers and so, Ojiisan had started learning how to tend to them after their marriage.

I found it really sweet, if I were to be honest.
And that's why, when Ojiisan grew older and couldn't tend to them as much as he did before, I stepped up for him.

At first it was in secret — they didn't know I watered them when Ojiisan forgot to after a tiring day at the farm, or how I weeded out the garden whenever I had free time and many such little help here and there.

It was kinda funny when they found out — they were so proud and yet so annoyed.

"You didn't need to do it, Masa-kun!" I remember Obasan telling me as she added a little more meat onto my plate while Ojiisan scolded me for doing it all alone and not reminding him to do it instead.

They honestly made me feel so belonged; so... loved.

Life was good, to be honest.
That's why I was scared when I came face to face with the demon.

oOo

I was returning back from the town that evening — selling all the vegetables took more time than I actually thought it would.

Not to mention Ojiisan was sick; so, I had to visit the Kocho's once for the medication too.

Anyway, it was quite late in the evening as I was returning from the town and I remember being attacked by a figure in the dark — in fact, I was even bitten by it on my shoulder.

I was so startled that I slammed my elbow on its head with as much force I could muster — which was quite a lot, since this body of mine (in this life) had borderline inhumane strength.

The demon immediately left my shoulder and collapsed onto the ground, giving me the chance to sprint away as fast as I could.

For the first time in both my lives, I felt terrified; the fear of death.
And honestly, it was quite scary and yet so... exhilarating.

Regardless of that, it was then that I met him; he came in at the last moment (like some typical Hollywood Hero or something) and beheaded the savage demon who had almost caught up with me at that point.

I remember staring at him in awe and despair; his flame-toned hair almost taking my (already non-existent at that point) breath away.

'That's... Rengoku Senior?' I wondered absently as the man walked up to me and checked me for injuries, his kind eyes looking into mine with relief.

"You okay, kid?" He asked casually, patting me softly as I nodded, "Good. That was an amazing blow you dealt on that demon, kid — you even broke its jaw, actually."

"I-I did?" I had asked in disbelief, not know how that was gonna be one of the defining moments of this new life of mine.

And to be honest, who would've ever thought it'll all happen this way — I mean, literally recruited by Rengoku Senior? Damn.

Of course I accepted his offer — I knew my place was not here, and no matter how much I helped Obasan and Ojiisan in all their work, even they wanted me to leave and do something more.

The worst and most painful part though, was leaving them.

"Take care of yourself, okay?" Obasan had said with tears in her eyes; standing at the edge of the door with Ojiisan, as they watched me leave with a bittersweet smile.

I remember their hugs that day; and all their tears and wishes.

That's why I decided to visit them today — after a long time.

oOo

"Where are we going, Masa-kun?" Shinobu asked me for the hundredth time as we started our journey.

"I'll tell you when we reach there."

"You know I'll keep asking you continuously till then, right?"

I sighed, "We are going to meet Obasan and Ojiisan." I finally decided to give in; I didn't want to lose the little sanity I was left with, "Are you satisfied now?" I asked sarcastically as I turned to her, finally noticing how she was staring at me with shimmering eyes, "Hey... you okay?"

"I-I am..." The sixteen year old said, her lips twitching to form small, yet genuine smile, "I miss them."

"I know." I replied softly, "That's why I wanted to bring you with me."

"Is that way you are carrying that many wisteria bulbs with you?" She asked softly.

"Yeah... who knows how the garden must be without me there to look after it." I off-handedly commented, feeling a strange dread grow in my chest, "Shino, do you think... they would be mad at me? You know, because I left like that?"

"They won't." She answered confidently, "They love you too much for that."

"They love you equally, you know?" I nudged her gently, making her smile, "They'll be so happy to see you, ya know? Especially after..."

"Yeah." She nodded, her smile turning sadder as she looked at the ground we were walking on, "I wish..."

"I'm sorry." I apologized, feeling guilty while she chuckled at my apology.

"It's not your fault, onii-chan." She gave me the brightest smile she could muster, "I'm really glad you did whatever you could!" She looked forward again, her body language more... genuine than before, "And trust me, that's more than enough for me."