Chapter V

Marie's POV

Old MacDonald had a farm

Ee i ee i o

And on his farm he had some cows

Ee i ee i o

With a moo-moo here

And a moo-moo there

Here a moo, there a moo

Everywhere a moo-moo

Old MacDonald had a farm

No response.

I turned back and saw Esmeralda staring at something.

"What's wrong Esme" I asked sounding worried.

"Mommy I saw a car cwash into that twee" she said with fear in her voice. I pulled up and asked her to point towards the direction and we went there.

This is bad.

The car had gone straight into the tree. I just hope the driver is okay. I go back to my truck and take out a wrench and a Torchlight to open up the door which was jammed.

Accidents are regular on this road and it's because of the evident potholes springing up from everywhere I guess. Opening the door wasn't easy but I had to try. It eventually opened and I saw a man, a handsome one at that. He looked like a cartoon character in one of Esme's favorite. I'm guessing from Tangled or Frozen. I can't really place the face.

Pointing the Torch towards his face, I felt my heart leaping. This is no cartoon character, it's a Greek god. He's skin was of olives and he smelt like fresh fields. He had black beautiful hair and a rigid face. I'm guessing he's not much of a smiler. I sense trouble already.

"Mommy is he going to be okay?". Esme called taking me out if fantasy land. If only she knows her mom is already shipping with an unconscious man.

"Sure thing sweetie. We just have to get him to the truck and we're going to need all the help from your muscles okay?"

" Alwight"

We dragged him to the truck and put him at the back. I felt weak because lifting a man this huge could put you on a drip.

The ride home was silent and Esme kept watching him like he was a precious toy. I just hope he'll be okay. I don't want my daughter to go through trauma.

An hour later and we're home.

"Esme, go in and tell Mama to come and help me."

Esme runs in quickly with my mom already on her trail. Though frail, referring to my mom, she's actually strong for her age.

She gasps "what happened dolcezza?"

"Nothing serious Mama, we have to get him to a room and tend to his wounds.

"Okay"

We manage to get him to one of the spare guestrooms and treat his wounds. Since mama was a nurse before retirement, she was able to do administer some injections and pain killers.

"He'll be alright, just a little rest" Mama says taking the first aid kit along with her.

I take Esme, who's already sleeping close to the injured lad, to her room and tuck her in. Thank God we had dinner at Mary's. Mary is my best friend and also the best friend of my daughter's best friend, Gina. Cool right?

Today has been stressful. Starting from the visit from Damian, the veterinary doctor, who came over to check on Lily, a pregnant mare, to the store for supplies and back to the ranch again to fix the broken gates. We didn't have much workers due to the fact that we were almost bankrupt so we had to fire most of them. And finally when I was about to rest, Esme reminded me of the dinner. At first I was reluctant but then Mama said I have to go or she will die. Crazy. She makes such comments all the time but I've learnt to live with it. I love her like that.

Lying on my bed after taking a quick shower, my mind drifted to the man from the accident. He doesn't look like someone from around here. He's definitely a city guy. I wonder what he's doing in these parts. Guess I'll find out when he wakes up.

#

Two days.

It's been two days and Glenn hasn't woken up. I took Ricardo, our foreman, to check up on the jammed car and we found some of his things. That's how I got his name.

"He's a rich lad" Ricardo had said and I had to agree. He had a freaking Bentley. That alone could pay fifteen or more of the  workers on the ranch.

Mama had decided that if he doesn't wake up in a few days, we'll have to take him to the doctor. Fair enough cause right now I've got a lot on my plate. Mama had given the ranch up for sale some days ago and I was mad.

Dad left the ranch in mine and Simon's care before he passed away. I promised to uphold the ranch for dad's sake but Simon had other plans.

So I was working my ass out to figure out how to pay up the money Mama had taken from the buyer. If only she had told me the truth about where the money came from, I wouldn't have spent it on paying off some workers. I was stupid to believe that it was her pension when I know they don't pay them such juicy amounts.

"Mommy"

"Yes baby?"

"Can you come and play with me?"

" Not right now Esme, I'm actually busy"

" Please Mommy"

" Not now" I sighed. " Go and play with Jim". I have a lot on my plate and she's still insisting.

" He's gone out and Gwanny's taking a nap"

"Please Mommy, please mommy, please mo-" I got so irritated with her singing that I shouted at her. She stiffened and I regretted it immediately.

She started crying and I felt so bad. "I'm so sowwy, I just wanted to play with someone" she sniffed.

I carried her into my arms and kissed her all over her face. "It's okay baby. Mommy's just a little stressed that's why but I'll make it up to you. Hmm... How about you get some milk from the freezer and biscuits. We can have a playdate right here. "

She smiled.

Playdates is one of her favorite hobby coupling it with horseback riding.

"Ok mommy" she gleamed.

I was packing up my stuff on the table to make up space for our impromptu play date when Esme came in without the milk and biscuits looking stunned.

"What's wrong?"

"He's awake"

A/N

Introducing Marietta Diaz Alfonso. *shouts*. I hope you liked her because I do. Get ready for trouble Lenny *smirks*.
Thank you so much for giving me a chance by reading this book.

We're currently ranking #554 in business, who's happy ;)

Your thoughts on this chapter will make me happy.

Love y'all
adese 🌹