Chapter 17: Capture the Flag (pt. 2)

I reached the top of the ladder without a problem. Four stopped just behind, clearly trying his hardest not to look down. Grinning, I began climbing up the actual Farris wheel.

"Oh come on!" Four groaned. "Are you even human? How is this not bothering you?"

"Who knew that you were such a big baby," I teased as I slipped in between the large supports.

Four grimaced and climbed up to my spot. His hand landed on top of mine and I gasped softly at the unexpected contact. He must have noticed my surprise because he quickly pulled his hand away and began searching for Eric's flag.

I tried to brush it off and quietly searched with him. It wasn't very long before I noticed their green glow-in-the-dark flag at the top of what appeared to be an old bell tower.

"Look," I exclaimed, pointing it out to Four. "There it is!"

He smiled at me and said, "So what's the strategy?"

Quickly we descended from our spot and ran to the team.

"We need to send a small group to go scout out where their flag is," a tall Dauntless-born boy argued.

"I'm telling you," Michael argued back. "We need to split into an offense and a defense."

"Guys," I called to the group, slightly out of breath. "We know where the flag is."

This immediately caused all arguments to cease. All eyes were on me and Four. I looked to him nervously and he smiled at me.

"Tell them," he said, nodding reassuringly.

Quickly, I gave the group a small recap and they were excited.

"So what should we do?" A girl with long dark hair said to Four.

I expected him to answer but instead he said, "Talk to (y/n). She's the one who found the flag."

"I think we should split up into two groups," I said. "A large group would distract Eric and his team by drawing fire while a second smaller group would sneak past and retrieve the Flag."

"I like it," Michael said and to my pleasant surprise, the rest of the group agreed.

The girl who was arguing with Michael before separated the team into their groups and Four began leading them to Eric's team.

When we got close to the building, Me and my group split away and hid in the shadows while we waited for the rest of the team to begin the distraction.

I watched as Michael, who was leading the big group, emerged from his spot and waltz around with his gun. He was clearly trying to draw attention but nobody shot at him.

He seemed confused and looked around, trying to figure out where someone was hiding. He ended up spotting a taller boy's boot sticking out of the shadows and chose this opportunity to scare the kid.

Unfortunately for Michael, his amusement was short lived because the boy accidentally fired his gun when he screamed, shooting Michael in the foot. His scream of pain set everything into motion.

Eric's team emerged from their hiding spots and began attacking. The rest of my team took cover while me and my group waited in our spot.

I waited for everyone to be preoccupied with shooting each other and gave the signal for my group to move. Quickly, we sprinted through the shadows, avoiding detection .

I thought we made it without being noticed but my victory did not last long. A large Dauntless-born initiate jumped out in front of me but the girl from earlier was quick and shot him quickly.

"Nice," I said, offering her a smile.

She smiled back. "Thank you, I've been practicing really hard."

"I'm (y/n) by the way," I said as we ran towards the building.

"I'm Kyra," she said.

We continued to run into the building, shooting all the rest of Eric's team that was blocking the stairs. I could feel my heart racing as I ran up the stairs. Kyra and I burst through the door that led to the roof top and the flag sat there waiting for us in all of its glowing glory.

I snatched the flag from its spot and leaned over the balcony, raising the flag above my head. Kyra reaches out and grabbed the flag with me, letting out a victorious yell.

The gunfire below us ceased and every face turned to us. Eric's team looked up at us angrily while my team looked up with big smiles.

"WE DID IT," I heard Michael yell, causing the resort of our team to let out shouts of victory. "EAT IT, ERIC!" Michael shouted, pointing at Eric.

Everyone laughed except for Eric who decided to shoot Michael in the leg for good measure. This only increased the laughter. I looked through the crowd and saw Four looking up at me, smiling and laughing.

For a moment, we stared at each other before I dropped my gaze. My heart did a weird little flutter inside my chest. Naturally, I ignored it.  He's my trainer. What would people think?

A small part of me asked myself if I would really even care? And that scared me a little bit.