Chapter 12: Hesitation

As the initiates filed in, I looked away from Four to find Michael and Galen. They were already making their way towards me wearing the same content looks they always had after eating a good meal.

"How was breakfast?" I asked, smiling as Michael affectionately threw his arm around my shoulder.

"It was delicious as per usual," he said. "Chocolate muffins are amazing." I looked up to see him wearing a wistful expression.

Laughing Galen stepped forward, bringing his hands out from behind his back. In them was a napkin with a chocolate muffin. "I brought you a muffin because I figured you didn't make it down to breakfast."

"You're lucky Galen and I care about you or that muffin would be gone!" Michael laughed.

"What you meant to say is that she's lucky I stopped you from eating all the chocolate muffins because if I hadn't, you would have totally forgotten that (y/n) needs to eat too," Galen said, handing over the muffin and affectionately punching Michael.

Michael swung back, letting go of me to go after Galen. They scuffled around each other laughing and jumping around, reminding me of playful puppies. As the wrestled each other I began to pick at my muffin. I looked up to see Four looking over at Michael and Galen and me. When he noticed I was looking at him, he quickly looked away. I couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed by that.

It wasn't long before Four called for the class' attention. He explained and demonstrated knife throwing but because I'd already seen the demonstration, I took the time to appreciate the speed and accuracy that he threw with. I paid close attention to the flick of his wrist. I even noticed the way he shifted his weight to give power behind the throw. My guess is that because I was so focused on the knife, I failed to see the small details of what he was doing.

By the time Four told us to go grab a knife and stand in front of a target, I was ready. I practiced my form before throwing the blade and when I did, it stuck firmly in the target. Not exactly where I wanted it to land, but at least it stuck.

"Well done," Four's deep voice rumbled from behind me. I turned to see him admiring my target. "Try tucking in your elbow a bit more next time."

I picked up another knife and focused on my target. I was acutely aware of him standing behind me. Before I could even throw the blade, I felt his hand push my elbow slightly. I felt my breath catch in my throat as soon as his fingers touched my skin.

I threw the blade without even thinking. It hit where I wanted it to but it didn't stick this time. 

I turned to look at Four. To my disappointment,  he looked as though he were thinking about something and didn't even seem to notice the blade had clattered loudly to the floor.

From beside me, Michael snorted. "Nice," he said, teasingly.

This had gotten Four's attention. He looked at my target and saw that the blade hadn't stuck.

"Again," was all he said.

This time, I was determined. I did exactly what I did before but I focused on my target, not the man behind me. I felt the power shift through my body and the flick of my wrist as the blade left my hand. Then there was a loud thud of the blade finding its mark on the target. I looked to see it sitting almost exactly in the center.

"Much better," Four said. "Keep practicing." He left quickly, looking extremely distracted.

I found it hard to focus during the rest of the time spent in the training room. Every time Four spoke, I would look to see. Every time I threw, I would wonder if he was watching. 

By the time Four dismissed us, I had seven blades on the floor by my target. It made me slightly upset to see. 

I turned on my heel, ready to leave the training room as quickly as possible when I heard Four call out my name from behind me. 

"Can I have a word with you?" he said softly. 

When I stopped but didn't speak, he said, "I wanted--"

"(y/n)! You coming?" Michael had appeared in the doorway with Galen hovering behind him.

"I'll be there in a second," I called back. "Go on without me."

"No, it's fine," Four said, quietly. "I'll figure it out later."

Now I was confused. What was that supposed to mean? Figure out what? I think I wouldn't have been as worried if he didn't look so uncomfortable. But the stiff set of his shoulders made me wonder what he was going to say and why he won't say it now.