II. Protection

Chapter Two
Soroya

The first thing we did after finding out the news was call Shuri. She said that I have to come back to Wakanda immediately so she can check that everything is going smoothly and discuss what to do going forward. John said that he and the others would continue on with the mission and keep us updated while we're gone. He's going to lie to Ross and tell him that Shuri is going to run some additional tests to see if I'm alright after I passed out. Hopefully Ross will buy that lie.

When we got onto the the ship to head back home, I called the rest of our family and told them the news. Alex and Khari are ecstatic, T'Challa, Nakia, and Okoye are excited as well, and said they would be there in Shuri's lab with me while we discussed what's in store for our child's future.

Bucky has held my hand the entire time we've been on the ship, and he's been smiling ever since we heard the news. I can't stop staring at him, seeing him this happy warms me to my core. While I share in his happiness, I can't help but feel a sense of dread settle within me. From the moment I learned of my pregnancy, I knew that I loved my child more than anything else in the world. I knew I would do anything to protect him or her, but doing that will be very hard. The life Bucky and I both live isn't one of safety and security, it's one of death and destruction.

My nerves and anxiety quiet a little bit once we actually reach Wakanda. It's been several months since I've been here last, and every time I step off the ship and onto the beautiful Wakandan grass, it makes me leap with joy. Alex and Khari wait for our arrival, and both of my brothers run up to me and embrace me the moment they see me.

"You are glowing with beauty." Khari tells me, placing a kiss on my cheek as he pulls back from our embrace. Khari as always is the genuine and sincere brother, while Alex wastes no opportunity to start making childish comments.

Alex moves away from me and grins as he sets eyes on Bucky, enveloping him in a large hug before saying: "So you knocked my sister up, huh? Didn't you bring condoms with you? And when the hell did you two even have time to have sex with John, Sam, Jade, and Sharon breathing down your necks?"

Khari takes the words right out of my mouth: "My love, couldn't you hold your comments until they can get inside the lab?"

"I don't think he has the restraint." I mutter.

Alex stares at me through narrowed eyes. "Oh I have restraint, I have it in bucket loads. You two just like to spoil all the fun."

Bucky rolls his eyes and wraps his arm around Alex's shoulder, starting to walk towards the lab doors. "You have quite the way of getting on my nerves."

Alex winks at his brother in law. "I love you, too, Buck."

Alex, thankfully, keeps his comments to himself as we make our way inside Shuri's lab. As they had promised, everyone is there waiting for us. Shuri is setting up all the computers and holograms, Okoye is leaning against the glass wall, and T'Challa, Nakia, and baby Zy'aire are sitting on the chairs behind one of Shuri's work tables. Zy is the first one I go towards, I open my arms up wide and swoop him into my arms, making him erupt in a fit of giggles. I haven't seen my nephew in forever and I couldn't be more excited to have him in my arms again.

Zy is just as happy to see me again, clutching onto me in tightly. His parents do the same, wrapping me up in a big group hug.

"We're so happy for you." T'Challa says to me as he hugs me.

"You'll make a wonderful mother." Nakia tells me, kissing my cheek as she pulls away from me.

"And I'll be a fantastic uncle," Alex declares, kissing little Zy on the head as he passes us by, sitting down in one of the now vacant chairs. "I'm already Zy's favorite uncle, now I'll be the favorite uncle of your kid."