VI. Aching Hearts

Chapter Six
John

Foreman whines like a toddler as Bucky, Alex, and I hand him over to the FBI agents waiting for us in New York. Ross instructed us to take him to their field office to await trial, but what we didn't expect was for Ross to be here in person. He emerges from the pool of agents with his signature mustache furled in disappointment, and it makes all three of us let out a simultaneous groan of dread.

"I'm shocked you actually brought this one in," He says once he makes it to us. "With most HYDRA agents, you set them free to force their will upon the world."

Alex rolls his eyes so hard that for a moment he looks possessed. "You really can't just take a day off can you?"

"From justice? No, I'm not as careless with people's safety as you and your ragtag gang are."

Bucky is just as annoyed as Alex is. His tone is restrained, like he's trying his best to hold his tongue. "Why don't you get to the point. Why did you come here to meet us in person?"

"Did you really think that I wouldn't know about the file Sharon Carter retrieved for Ms. Roberts? You think I don't know that Analiese Remington's cell is vacant right now?"

"We cleared her temporary release with the FBI," I point out. "That file is for Soroya to help Analiese find what's left of her belongings from her life before HYDRA."

"People like Remington don't deserve to have sentimental items. She deserves to rot in jail and never see the light of day again. Like the rest of you."

"Did you come here to gloat? Or is there a point to this?" Alex inquires with a sigh.

"Watch yourselves," Ross warns. "You'll slip up one of these days, and when you do, you'll go to prison where you all belong."

"Your threatening message is received." I say through gritted teeth. Ross seems to satisfied with this visit, so with a final glare our way, he heads back towards the crowd of agents dragging Foreman into the building.

We stand there and watch him leave, and I feel Bucky place his hand on my shoulder, squeezing it tightly. "You ready to head back to the ship?"

I turn my attention towards him and shake my head, a small smile creeping onto my face. "I think we should give Sam and Jade some time alone."

Bucky raises an eyebrow my direction, amusement crossing his features. "Playing matchmaker now?"

I shrug. "They deserve it."

"You do too," Bucky tells me, squeezing my shoulder again before letting his hand drop. "One day you'll find someone."

I force a smile, trying to hide the guilt creeping up into me. My eyes lock onto Alex's and he gives me an awkward look, quickly darting his eyes away from mine.

If someone told me two years ago that I would be friends with the Winter Soldier, I would have called them insane. And not just him, but the Savage, the Shifter, the Falcon, and Combustion Woman, as Jade is now calling herself. Despite all the odds, it happened. I remember once Soroya told me that I could have that hole in my heart filled if I only let people care about me. I took her advice and let people in, getting six incredible friends in the process. It's just my luck that now I'm sabotaging the love I fought so hard to get.