Part 2: Chapter 2

Start from the beginning

"But she will not meet the same fate as he did...I hope everything turns out well." He thought as he closed his eyes for another long and deep sleep.

In a nearby town, the morning sun slowly rose from behind the rooftops of the little cottages. The house smelt of roasted corn and tea. The girl sat beside the window looking out to the valley below.

She reminisce the days she spent with the dragon. It felt like a long time, to her, it almost felt like a dream. She did not get the chance to see the dragon before she left and she was worried.

"The world is not a safe place for him..." She thought.

"If I could just see him and maybe dip my feet in the river once more."

"What are you thinking about?" The raven-haired woman asked as she handed her a cup of tea with a plate of roasted corn.

"The river..."

"Would you like to pay her a visit?" The raven-haired woman asked.

"She's yet to recover." The girl replied.

The woman shook her head.

"Not grandma...I mean the river..." She said.

"Would you like to pay the river a visit..."

The girl's face lit up.

"You'll let me?! Yes !!! Yes please!"

"Then we'll head out as soon as you're done with tea." The raven-haired woman replied.

"Now??" The girl asked surprised by the sudden unplanned journey.

"Yes now..."

The girl stuffed the roasted corn into a basket she had hastily packed with all the necessary things for the short journey. She then stood up gulping the cup of tea down her throat without caring much if it scalded her throat and mouth.

The raven-haired woman had been staring at her for a while. Lost in thoughts, she smiled.

She's just like us...

The raven-haired woman was shaken out of her thoughts by the girl who had already finished her tea and had been standing at the door with her cape on, a basket in her hand and the jar her grandmother gave her.

The raven-haired woman looked at the jar questioningly.

"I'll be collecting some water from the river." She said.

The raven-haired woman nodded and quickly finished her tea. She then ran to get her basket from a shelf and threw on her raven black cape.

"And I'll be gathering mushrooms." She said as she closed the door behind her.

The girl ran ahead in excitement as her mentor tried to follow her pace.  The town was peacefully quiet with only a few townsmen taking a stroll through deserted lanes. The town was friendly and people greeted them along the way. They returned the greetings with breathless replies as they ran as fast as they could.

"We have a long way to go." The girl said as she looked back at the woman.

The raven-haired woman picked up the pace and ran ahead of the girl.

"Then let's see who reaches there first."

A tunnel of green light flashed in the dragon's mind slowly drifting him away from the consciousness of his physical surroundings. He recalled memories of a grove which was all too familiar to him before his murder happened. His duty was almost done. However, a revisitation was needed. His consciousness drifted the spaces near him and moved further and further away when a familiar voice reached out to him.

Wait... Your duty can wait... You have a visitor...

It all happened in a flash and his consciousness returned to his body, waking him up. He crawled his way out the crammed cave that had grown small enough for his growing height. He squinted his silver eyes at the light from the rising sun.

The leaves rustle in the wind as the air grew warmer with the sunrise. Two familiar scents floated his way faintly reaching his wary nose.

The dragon grinned.

"This time... I shall not lose a friend."

______________________________________

A/N:

To my dear readers,

Thank you all for taking your precious time to read my story of The Dragon's Abode.

For those who aren't aware yet, I upload new chapters every Tuesday.

If you have come this far in reading The Dragon's Abode I'd like to tell you that I am very happy that someone's actually enjoying the story.

Thank you for reading.

With love,

Zylixis