World's Greatest Cook

Imagine Arizona's surprise when he wandered into the kitchen that morning to see Dixie in a kiss the chef apron and intently reading from a recipe card, surrounded by ingredients.
The 48th state cautiously approached the counter and tried to peak over his uncle's shoulder. "Whatcha readin'?"
Dixie nearly jumped out of his socks. "What the- how did ya get there?"
"I walked over here." Arizona said, tilting his head at him. "Using my legs."
Dixie looked at him for a long second. Then shrugged and turned back to what he was doing.
Arizona looked around him again and said, "Are ya cooking?"
Dixieland hummed a yes. "Your pop finally fell asleep. He asked me to make some breakfast for you kids." He grabbed a bowl from one of the dish washers and a couple measuring cups.
"Well what's for breakfast then, tío?"
"It's a surprise." Dixie said. He stopped measuring flour and gave Ari a look.
Arizona stared back.
"Can I ask," Dixie proceeded with caution, "why you're being so nice?"
Arizona shrugged. "Paps trusts you. I guess I do too."
Dixie gave him a curious look.
He was about to turn back around when Hawaii skipped into the kitchen- followed by New Mexico, Texas, Nevada, Mississippi, South Dakota, Arkansas, Washington-
"Too many people in the kitchen!" Dixie snapped, putting his fists on his hips. "Out, out out!" He shooed them away with a wooden spoon.

"What do you think he's making?" Guam tried to peer into the kitchen through the hatch that separated the counter from the large cooking space, but it was no use.
"Maybe he's tryin' to poison us." New York theorized.
"Doubt it." Texas frowned. "I don't think he wants to hurt us. He could've last night and he didn'."
"Well has anyone seen Dad today?" California declared.
Washington rolled his eyes. "He told us he's upstairs resting. And I could tell if he was lying."
The chatter that had begun to develop was cut off as the metal divider slid up with a chink!
The heavenly smell of baking bread wafted through the open window. Dixie pushed a pot filled to the brim with rich, taupe-colored sausage and gravy. He nudged a plate stacked high with thick, golden-brown biscuits into the view of the States. "Take as much as y'all like. There's more in the oven."
Texas had already snatched a couple steamy biscuits off the top of the pile and placed them on his plate as numerous states followed. A couple lagged behind, waiting to see if the food really was poisoned.
The long dinner table had also magically been cleared off from the chaos of last night- it was crumb and apple pie free, with the chair they had tied Dixie to in its proper place. The chatter grew louder as the States got more food and joined the massive group. Eventually everyone had taken their usual spot around the dining hall, accept a couple of territories who were still sound asleep.
"I'm tellin' ya," Mississippi began, "Dixie can make ANYTHING taste good. Once during winter, the only thing we had to eat was this old boot-"
"Ew!" Vermont interrupted. "I don't think I wanna know the rest of the story!"
"Hey kids!"
The state's heads popped up to see their father strolling into the dining room. He got many "Dad!", "Good morning Dad!", "hey pops!", and even a couple "are you feeling better, Papa?"'s.
"Ay pop." Georgia said, taking a break from eating his biscuit. "You look better."
It was true- the dark circles that had been residing for quite some time now had almost diminished. America seemed almost perky, wearing his NASA hoody and a pair of light grey sweat pants.
"Well I got more than my usual ten minutes." 'Merica joked. He hopped into his seat at the head of the table. "What's for breakfast? I could eat a horse."
Dixie came into the dining room, carrying a platter of biscuits and the pot full of the magnificent sausage and gravy. He scooted them on the table, and slide a plate stacked to the brim with the delicious breakfast and some apple slices towards America.
"You're eatin' all of that." Dixie said, grabbing a plate of his own. "Then you're goin' straight back to bed."
"I don't need to sleep, Mom," America said through the biscuit he had stuffed in his mouth. "The bags are already almost gone, see!" He pointed an apple slice at the space under his eyes.
"Almost being the keyword." Dixie out his hands on his hips. "You still need to rest. Especially with the Splitting and all."
"I'll sleep tonight." He turned back to his kids. "Besides. It's been so long since I've spent time with you guys. Like real time." America paused. "You know what? We're spending today outside. No more being cooped up inside."
An exited amount of chatter erupted across the hall, and America got a disproving frown from Dixie.
"Fine." The battle flag grumbled. "But you're helping me with dishes."

America stepped outside and enjoyed the feel of sunshine as it warmed his face, his eyes fluttering shut. Outside smelled fresh, clean, and of various good smells that were America's backyard- even if it wasn't really a backyard. Tire swings hung from pretty much ever tree limb, a huge garden off to the left, a humongous pool off to the right. It was more like an acre of playground surrounded by a massive forest. And for the first time in forever, America felt good. Sleep really did numbers.
Dixie was enjoying it more than America though. He was sprawled out in the grass, watching a ladybug crawl across a petunia.
America laid down next to him as the States raced past him, dressed in swimsuits and running towards their Olympic-sized pool.
"You got the sinkies?" Hawaii asked as she passed by 'Murica's head. "The rings?"
Puerto Rico was carrying a bag full of pool toys. "Yep!"
"GERONIMO!"
Arizona jumped in, nearly landing on New Mexico's head.
America smiled as his kids worked together to overturn the flamingo pool floaty California was on.
"Do you think you'll swim?" America asked Dixie. Cali threw her waterlogged phone at Texas' head, soaking wet.
"Maybe." the battle flag was still observing the ladybug, which had crawled into his palm. "Still getting used to... all this."
America looked away as Cali struggled to get out of the pool, clutching her soaked phone in hand, and marched past him muttering things like "boys" and "animals" and "I'll get you next time". She was about to go inside when Texas yelled, "Hey Cali! Make sure you put it in rice!"
With a shriek of pure rage from Cali (and a couple snickers from Georgia and Texas), she flew back to the pool and launched herself at Texas, successfully tackling him into the water.
"I should probably go break that up." America sighed as Cali socked Texas in the eye.
"Probably should." Dixie said, taking his eyes off the ladybug to watch the fight.
"Alrighty." America sighed as he pushed himself to his feet. A large group of states had gathered around the squabbling siblings, changing "FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!"
"Ok, ok." America hopped into the pool and pushed past the crowd of states, pulling the two apart. "Break it up." Texas was cradling his arm where The Golden State had racked him with her acrylics.
"He started it!"
"Ya, but you continued it!"
"I don't care who started or continued it." America said sternly. "Apologize to each other. Now."
"But look what she did to my arm-"
"Dad look at my phone-"
He gave them a look.
"Fine." Texas started. "Sorry about your phone Cali." America have him another look. "I... I won't do it again." He looked down, his lips pursed. "I promise."
"I'm sorry too." California looked like she was throwing up. "Sorry about your arm, I guess."
"Good." America said. "Now Cali help wrap up Texas' arm and Texas help Cali with the dishes tonight."
A chorus of "WHAT"'s and "NO"'s erupted from Texas and California, along with some horrified expressions, which earned some giggles from the surrounding States and territories. The complaints and snickers were silenced with a single dad look.
"Now go take care of Texas' arm."
They grudgingly got out of the pool, and sauntered back into the house. Neither of them looked too happy.
America sighed. "What am I gonna do with those two."