Awkward

Konoha winced as Maru’s hand stuck against his face, the sound of a slap echoing in the hallway.

“You screwed up,” Maru glared at him. “To be fair, (Y/N) did too. But you seriously fucked up Akinori,”

“Since when do you care this much about her?” Konoha blurted.

She narrowed her eyes, hand twitching to hit him again, “Of course I care! Do you really think I’d have stuck around all this time if I didn’t care about (Y/N)? I care enough to know when she’s upset without her telling me! Something that you’ll never be able to do if you don’t fix this!”

“I…”

“She may not look it, but she’s smart. Even if she can’t lie well she knows how to hide negative emotions. You’ve seen (Y/N) fake a smile! You just haven’t noticed! I notice because I care for her, and unless you fix what’s happening right now, she won’t care for you,”

“What?” Akinori snapped his head up with fear.

“She’s like a kid. Gets sidetracked easily. Her interests change on the daily. She won’t remember one day why she was so interested in something the day before. Eventually, that will happen with you. If you let this be like how it is now, she’ll move on. She’ll leave you behind,” Maru took a step back, getting ready to leave.

“B-But she was going to reject me! I couldn’t ju-” Konoha started off.

“I never took for an idiot,” Maru cut him off, “Think again Akinori, and fix this,”

-o0o-

You ate your lunch with a small smile on your face as you talked to Komi. To most people, the smile would seem sincere, but you could tell by the worried glances Maru kept sending you that she could see through it. 

Bokuto suddenly set his food down and stood up, “Okay, what’s happening? Did I miss something here?”

“Hmm?” Konoha looked up at Koutarou  with a raised eyebrow.

“Yeah, I’m confused too,” Azumi raised her hand.

“About what?” You asked.

“Why aren’t you two agruing?! Or yelling at each other!?” Bokuto gestured to you and Akinori.

“I dunno. Why aren’t you flirting with Akaashi?” You shot back and he blushed, while Keiji turned his head away.

“Akaaaashiii?” Koutarou pouted at the setter who sighed.

“Don’t let her bother you Bokuto-san,”

“See!” he turned back to you with his hands on his hips and you rolled your eyes. 

“Normally you want us to stop arguing! You should all be happy!” Konoha pointed out.

“Exactly!” You nodded and Azumi gave you a weird look.

“Like right there! You just agreed with each other! This never happens!” She yelled.

“You two really are idiots aren’t you?” You frowned, shoving more of your lunch in your mouth. 

“Hey! We’re not stupid!” Bokuto protested.

“Well I think you guys are the only ones who have no clue what’s going on,” Maru shrugged.

You looked down at the floor. What is going on? Why is it so awkward between me and Akinori? I mean, I know I got my hopes up, but our pranks have never ended like this. Why was that one so different? You thought back to the beach and his face when he said those words. It seemed like he meant it. But then again, he was probably just a good actor. I don’t know why things have been like this since then.