Chapter 25: Now or Never

Start from the beginning

A shift in pressure and a ding make me turn and prepare myself inwardly. I'm blinded by the light glinting from the windows across the foyer as soon as the doors pull open. Everything is as it was during my last visit here, except for the various toys strewn around the grand piano.

I hear heavy footsteps descending the stairs, and a second later, Theo walks in from the hallway in the right. His lips lift in a smile. "Sorry about the mess. The maid isn't here today, and my siblings can make things messy."

I raise an eyebrow sarcastically. The spacious living area is spotless save for the five colorful toys in the corner. "Oh yeah, it's just atrocious. I don't know how you even get around it."

He rolls his eyes and chuckles, starting to walk to the kitchen. I follow him. "You want something to drink?"

The nervous flipping and theatrics in my stomach protest. "No, thank you."

I watch his broad back open the double-doored fridge, pull out a water bottle, and gulp it down, his Adam's apple bobbing. I press my sweaty palms flat on the cold counter. What's gotten into me?

"So, what's up?"

Before I can jump into the reason why I'm here, the sounds of children laughing and running make me stop short. A little boy with shaggy brown hair runs to the counter, squealing in mischief. He wears a stripped, oversized shirt that reaches his knee, and he clutches a fire truck toy tightly to his chest.

A second later, a younger girl with black locks stumbles into the kitchen in a yellow dress. Tears are running down her soft, round face. The sight makes my heart soften.

"Teo!" she wails and points to the first boy. "Ari w-won't give me the to-toy!"

At that, the little boy squeals and shoves the toy under his shirt. He catches my eye and presses a small finger to his lips, the universal sign of keeping a secret. I stifle a laugh.

Theo sighs and rounds the counter, lowering himself to the boy's eye level. He crosses his arms sternly. "Ari, what did I just tell you?"

"You said, give her the toy, and you'll buy me a new one." The boy—Ari—smiles like he's waiting for a reward.

"And?"

"I gave it to her, and she lost it. Now, you gotta buy two Lego fire trucks. One for me and one for her." He holds out two fingers.

The little girl stomps her feet and cries. "He's lyingggg!"

"I'm not!"

Theo purses his lips "Okay enough of that, Ari. Give Sadie her toy. I can see it peaking from your collar, buddy."

Ari looks genuinely surprised at that, and his eyes widen. "Whaaat? I thought I could trick you."

"Uh-huh?" Theo strains to hide his smile as he humors Ari with a raised brow. "Come on, out with it."

"Fine," the little boy relents, and pulls out the toy from under his shirt. He hands it to Sadie before racing out of the kitchen. "Levi, mission failed!"

Sadie wipes her eyes with a chubby fist and looks up at Theo with wide blue eyes, her eyelashes sticking together with tears. "Tank you, Teddy. Are you getting me a new one, too?"

He wipes her tears tenderly with his thumbs and smiles a smile that warms his face. "Sure. You too, Sadie. Could you give us a minute now?"

She glances at me as if noticing my presence for the first time. She points at me, and her little mouth unhinges open. "You look just like Pocahontas!"