Chapter 14: (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

A muscled man stands in the doorway with a face pierced and tatted in so many places, it's hard to spot a streak of peach skin amidst black-green and glinting metal

A muscled man stands in the doorway with a face pierced and tatted in so many places, it's hard to spot a streak of peach skin amidst black-green and glinting metal. It covers his bald head and curls around the nape of his pale neck. His gunmetal blue eyes shift between the three of us.

They land on Tave, and his thin lips stretch into what seems like a smile, revealing pierced gums. Of course.

"Octavian, my guy." His voice is gravelly. "What's up, man?"

When he tilts his head, I can see his neck through gaping earlobes. Maybe I would've shared Zain's bewildered expression, if it were the most bizarre thing I've seen—it is not. This fruit basket of a city is full of people of different sizes, colors, and shapes, proudly holding different markings in their own way. While she may have only seen the shiny polished men and women in the Upper East Side, I've seen anything but, and while they make her uncomfortable, they put me at ease—everyone will find their footing here, no matter their form.

"I'm good, Kai. I see you've gotten more work done." Tave laughs good-heartedly.

They clasp hands, patting each other's backs, before the tatted guy—Kai—steps aside to let us in, leading us through a dim, purple-hued narrow hallway. The smoke-scented air makes me wary. Based on what little research I've done before coming here, tattoo parlors are supposed to smell sterile like the cleaning products they use. For a second, I worry that we made a mistake coming here. But Tave seems to know this man well enough, and he wouldn't just take us someplace shady to get tattoos. After all, he's got the money to take us anywhere else.

"Fuck yeah, I did. It's the art of life," Kai says before glancing back at Zain and I. "You chicks here to get su'mm done?"

Zain is still staring at his dangling, stretched earlobes with wide eyes and pale skin. I elbow her. The last thing we need is giving this man weird looks.

"Yes," I reply. "I think I'll get a tattoo."

He quickly looks me over and nods. The hallway opens to an area with artwork all over the walls and a bed with needles and equipment on the side. Ineligible rap music plays in the background.

Before Tave can follow Kai into a separate room, I grab his arm, making sure Zain is not listening. Her curly-haired head is turned away, marveling at the artwork on the walls.

"How much is this going to cost?" I ask, uncomfortable, avoiding his gaze by staring at the door behind him.

When I look back at him, he wears a nonchalant expression on his face and shrugs. "It's all taken care of. He's my brother's best friend. He doesn't charge me."

I shift on my feet. "Are you sure?"

"Positive." He gives me one last wink, squeezes my shoulder, and turns around.

Once Tave and Kai walk into another room, joking and catching up, Zain turns to me. Eyes wide, she exclaims, "What the fuck has Tave gotten us into? It smells like sex and shrooms in here."